Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Segments show different visits number compared to the overview

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

there is something strange in our GA numbers, analyzing the 2016 data we face a discrepancy between the data in the overview and the segment.

Such as we have a global website we use segments to analyze the stats of single markets, these segments are setup with the list of all the countries belonging to a market, so eg. Segment Benelux includes countries: Netherlands, Luxemburg and Belgium.

The problem is that if I look at the stats for 2016 (1st Jan-31st Dec) I get different results, here an example about Italy:

• If I check the overview, and check the visits for country italy the number is 38.047
  • if I apply the segment "Italy" (that is setup in a way to include only visits from country = Italy) where I expect to get the same result, I get a number of visits that is 39.217

the same happens with other indicators as users, referrals and so on.

Why is like this? should we setup the segment in a different way?

Cheers

2 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Dormer, 

The primary reason behind this should be that Google Analytics uses Data Sampling when pulling reports. What does this mean? Every time you run a new report it will take you whole data set and for the sake of time take a percentage of the data. This is also partially to keep anonymity because Google Analytics typically looks at aggregated data.  

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1042498?hl=en

Let me know if this answers your question! 

- Josh

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: Segments show different visits number compared to the overview

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Dormer,

@Joshua R hit the nail on the head on this one.  If you need to do this kinds of analysis, you can create a view for each country/group by using filters.  Note:  This will only help you moving forward and only for pre-aggregated reports as sampling is done on the property level.

Start with a view that is fully configured with goals, etc and copy if from the view settings, then apply new filters to only include the hostname (example.com) and then the country(ies) of interest as one include filter using a pipe (|) to delimit the list.

ss include country filter.png

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Joshua,

What about Events/Goals, does this same logic also applies? I have a very similar situation, in my case, I have a recent view filtered to my market only (Brazil) and when I look to the registered events there are none. But if I look to the very same period in the unfiltered view I can see some events, including some which I produced myself in a test session.

My only filter in this view is this Custom - Include - Country - Brazil.

Any hint on what may be going on?

Thanks.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Number of goals typically won't be affected unless in such large amounts but conv. rate and such may change. 

Also I would strongly suggest that you don't filter your views unless you're maintaining an 'unfiltered view' or a 'master view' - otherwise you will compromise your data when creating a segment can be done right. 

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The problem is that it seems that for one of the views the Goals does not even exist... I can see it happening clearly in the "All Website Data", but not in my filtered one...

Very odd.