Analytics
6K members online now
6K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Segments instead of Filters?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I work for a company where the majority of the business takes place globally from major metropolitan areas. Several employees work from home and we also use an advertising agency with employees who work from home.  This makes filtering out by ip address tedious and somewhat ineffective.  We also started filtering out internal traffic in september of last year, so when comparing year over year data, I have to switch back to our unfiltered view.  

Is there any drawback to creating a custom segment that excludes traffic from a few small cities?  I like the idea of it not altering our historic data and i think it would be easier to compare year over year this way. I know that there would be some traffic that gets unnecessarily excluded.  But is there any other major drawbacks to this? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Kelly,

Have a read through this link:

http://www.joshuamorse.com/2015/06/14/filtering-internal-employees-in-google-analytics-using-google-...

This might help you moving forward as I appreciate managing external IP addresses can be annoying.

Segments don't affect your data historically and you can remove and apply them as you wish. However you will exclude potential customer traffic so Ideally you should setup a custom dimension for employees and then create a segment which removes employees which will keep your data accurate.

Thanks,

A

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Use the custom dimension solution as suggested. Create a new view which excludes visitors based on the presence of the custom dimension. Also create a second which includes only the custom dimension. Have a back-up view with no filters as well.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.