AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Segmenting by New Users on Adwords report shows no data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I look at any of the Adwords reports in Analytics with the standard New Users segment enabled, no data for clicks and cost is shown.

With New Users segment not enabled:

And now with it enabled:

I would like to see what percentage of users are new based on the keyword in Adwords so I can optimise my campaigns to target users that have never visited.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andrew B
June 2017

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

That's... Different. You must have some kind of beta or something for this account, because that data is NOT available to me, for any of my clients, and has never been. That may be why you aren't seeing any data for this report, with those segments.

Was there ever a time when you did see any data for this report with those segments? I am very, honestly, genuinely curious! Smiley Happy

You can get that data in the AdWords UI, as long as the accounts are linked, but that has not been an option in Analytics.

Tom

View solution in original post

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

You can't get the new/returning user data when viewing AdWords clicks/cost data within analytics. You are using a custom report, correct?

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your response Smiley Happy

Google has explicitly decided not to allow this? Why? You can confirm the data is available - after all, you can apply an advanced filter based on % of new visits and it filters the list correctly. You can also go to Audience > Behavior > New vs Returning and segment by the standard "Paid Traffic". The only thing you can't do is see this data in conjunction with Adwords data.

At the very least, there should be an error message when you try and do this and All Users data should remain the same as in the first screenshot. This behaviour is bad UX.

No, the screenshots show a standard Adwords report available under Aquisition > Adwords > Campaigns.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andrew B
June 2017

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

That's... Different. You must have some kind of beta or something for this account, because that data is NOT available to me, for any of my clients, and has never been. That may be why you aren't seeing any data for this report, with those segments.

Was there ever a time when you did see any data for this report with those segments? I am very, honestly, genuinely curious! Smiley Happy

You can get that data in the AdWords UI, as long as the accounts are linked, but that has not been an option in Analytics.

Tom

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Heh, lucky me I guess!I think it's standard, you just need to change afew settings. Have a read of this article about the AdWords reports in Analytics.

I have only just begun looking for % new visits in relation to Adwords data, so I can't be sure that this ever worked sorry.

Ahhh thank you for your note about this being possible to view in the Adwords UI. I didn't know this and have just found that I had the "Import site metrics" turned off for the Analytics property in question in the Adwords > Cog > Linked Accounts > Google Analytics. Oh and it's retrospective! Happy days!