AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Segmentation filter conditions not working correctly

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been trying to use segmentation filters in one of my GA accounts and it looks like both the "contains" filter and the RegEx filter have a bug as they are both pulling in extra data. An example is a filter for pages contains "licence" and there are entries on the list which do not contain that term. Is anyone else experiencing this bug?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jono E
December 2016

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jono,

Session based metrics should not be used with hit-level dimensions like "page", but Google doesn’t tell you that. They also don’t tell you what a hit-level dimension is, and there is no simple way to figure it out.

Segments allow you to include and exclude data from all your reports at session or user level, so in this case, they are working properly.

The problem here is that you tried to put in the same report the dimension "page" (hit level) with the metric "session" (session level). Those are incompatible with each other in Google Analytics.

If you would like to figure out how many sessions included each page, then you could look at the Unique Pageviews metric.

Here's another way on how to see information only about "crimeinscotland" page:

Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 21.32.50.png

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Taavi

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jono,

Haven't seen this kind of issue before. Are you 100% sure that you've used conditions properly in your segment?

It would be great if you could upload an image of your segment and the results then it's easier for us to let you know what might be the issue.

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Taavi, 

Steps as follows:

Segment > Conditions > "Page" "contains" and then I've set it to "emascotland"

No other filters and save. 

Results listed include this example: "crimeinscotland" - definitely does not include the string "emascotland".

Another example is:

Segment > Conditions > "CD - Site ID" "matches regex" and I've included "^MYGOV\-385$"

Results start with correctly identified site ID "MYGOV-385" but then a random list of other IDs. I totally get how this could be collected incorrectly but I don't understand how the regex or filters could be broken.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Jono

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jono E
December 2016

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jono,

Session based metrics should not be used with hit-level dimensions like "page", but Google doesn’t tell you that. They also don’t tell you what a hit-level dimension is, and there is no simple way to figure it out.

Segments allow you to include and exclude data from all your reports at session or user level, so in this case, they are working properly.

The problem here is that you tried to put in the same report the dimension "page" (hit level) with the metric "session" (session level). Those are incompatible with each other in Google Analytics.

If you would like to figure out how many sessions included each page, then you could look at the Unique Pageviews metric.

Here's another way on how to see information only about "crimeinscotland" page:

Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 21.32.50.png

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Taavi.