AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Segment won't segment.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

So, my segment won't segment.

I want just my blog traffic and even though I've put the follow filters in, the excludes still show?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

GA filter.JPG

Re: Segment won't segment.

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
you can start with once condition at a time and see.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You say you just want to see your blog traffic, but you are now filtering on sessions that have a certain landing page. This does not say anything about behaviour afterwards. Also, you dont need to exclude specific landing pages if you have a filter that includes one, so the last 4 filters dont do anything.

If you could specify slightly better what you would like to report on, it may be easier to answer your question.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks guys.

I want a segment which only shows blog traffic - i.e. /beauty-tips.

The issue is that I started with just the top filter but it left / and /the-salon in the analytics.

If I build a segment that excludes / it still appears. It's like the segment is totally ignoring the filters.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That is probably because someone that landed on /beauty-tips will have visited / as well in the same session. I'm not sure what question you want answered with your report but have you tried filtering all pages (behavior > site content > all pages) on the Regex "^/beauty-tips"? You should then only see pages that start with that path.

Also, if you want to know visited pages, don't filter on landing page but just filter on page. Someone with a landing page that is not /, may still visit that page later in the session so it will still show up in pageviews.