AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Segment filters vs. Widget filters: Same setting, different data?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone,

I stumbled upon this: I have a website that has two product categories: '/apples/' and '/oranges/'. So I built a custom dashboard for each category and set a matching filter inside each widget like: Only show 'Page' 'contains' '/apples/'. Data looks fine, but when I delete the filter and build a segment that has a filter that says 'Page' 'contains' '/apples/' it gives me totally different data for sessions / users / whatever. Both filters look the same to me, that's why I am a bit confused here.. Can anyone pls help me figure out what's wrong here?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Best regards

Thorsten

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Segment filters vs. Widget filters: Same setting, different data?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Thorsten,

this an issue when comparing segment vs filters in tables and session and hit dimensions / metrics combination.

When you create a segment where a condition is Page contains /apples this basically says show all data from all sessions / users where the dimension Page contained the value /apples. This in return - when you go to Behavior > All pages report - will show all pages from all sessions where /apples was a a part of it. Segment allows you to answer questions such as how did the users behave who have seen a page containing apples.

When you filter a widget by a dimension such as page you should use page as dimension and pageviews as metric and the filter does the following - it filters down the table of all page dimension values and shows only the pages containing /apples.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net