Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Segment filters vs. Widget filters: Same setting, different data?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone,

I stumbled upon this: I have a website that has two product categories: '/apples/' and '/oranges/'. So I built a custom dashboard for each category and set a matching filter inside each widget like: Only show 'Page' 'contains' '/apples/'. Data looks fine, but when I delete the filter and build a segment that has a filter that says 'Page' 'contains' '/apples/' it gives me totally different data for sessions / users / whatever. Both filters look the same to me, that's why I am a bit confused here.. Can anyone pls help me figure out what's wrong here?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Best regards

Thorsten

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Segment filters vs. Widget filters: Same setting, different data?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Thorsten,

this an issue when comparing segment vs filters in tables and session and hit dimensions / metrics combination.

When you create a segment where a condition is Page contains /apples this basically says show all data from all sessions / users where the dimension Page contained the value /apples. This in return - when you go to Behavior > All pages report - will show all pages from all sessions where /apples was a a part of it. Segment allows you to answer questions such as how did the users behave who have seen a page containing apples.

When you filter a widget by a dimension such as page you should use page as dimension and pageviews as metric and the filter does the following - it filters down the table of all page dimension values and shows only the pages containing /apples.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net