Analytics
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Segment Preview Shows Different Metrics Than Actual Metrics

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I notice that when I create a segment that Google Analytics provides a preview of the metrics as I create conditions, sequences, etc. This is great, except I am confused as to why the actual metrics I see in a report like Audience > Overview differs than the segment preview metrics.

For example, a segment preview may show these metrics: Users = 184, and Sessions = 187 (0.15% of sessions).

When I save the segment and go to Audience > Overview and apply the newly created segment, I get these metrics: Sessions = 171, Users = 166

Notice that the Sessions and Users metrics differ between the segment preview and the Overview report.

Why is this? I haven't changed the date range for anything.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

It's set to 'Greater precision'.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I think I found the answer: "As you add filters, the Summary pane updates to give an estimate of how many users and sessions will be included in the segment. This estimate is based on sampled data, and is not intended to exactly match the number of users or sessions that will be included when you finally apply the segment to your reports." (see https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3124493?hl=en)