Analytics
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Russians are messing up our analytics and showing 0% bounce rate. How can we filter them out?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Google Community,

As a recent user of Analytics, I noticed a 0% bounce rate and traffic from Russia. I then see that all the Russian traffic has a 0% bounce rate and tends to come from Reddit or Stack exchange. Can we filter them out without IP addresses? What do you suggest?

Thank you!

Best,

-Lauren

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lauren K
December 2016

Russians are messing up our analytics and showing 0% bounce rate. How can we filter them out?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

You are dealing with referrer spam.
The easiest way to deal with this is to:
- Go to the Google Analytics Admin section
- Select the correct view
- Go to Filters
- Click Add filter
- Give your filter a name such as "Include only my website"
- Under Predefined, select "Include Only"
- Under Select Source or Destination, select "traffic to the hostname"
- Under Select expression, select "that contains"
- In the Hostname field, enter "yoursite.com", where yoursite.com is really your domain name.

Save your filter and enjoy new, somewhat-spam-free traffic!

For a complete set of solutions, read this:
http://juliencoquet.com/en/2016/06/17/how-can-handle-google-analytics-referrer-spam/?utm_id=tcen

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lauren K
December 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

You are dealing with referrer spam.
The easiest way to deal with this is to:
- Go to the Google Analytics Admin section
- Select the correct view
- Go to Filters
- Click Add filter
- Give your filter a name such as "Include only my website"
- Under Predefined, select "Include Only"
- Under Select Source or Destination, select "traffic to the hostname"
- Under Select expression, select "that contains"
- In the Hostname field, enter "yoursite.com", where yoursite.com is really your domain name.

Save your filter and enjoy new, somewhat-spam-free traffic!

For a complete set of solutions, read this:
http://juliencoquet.com/en/2016/06/17/how-can-handle-google-analytics-referrer-spam/?utm_id=tcen

Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

im having the same issues! my traffic spiked, and when i went to see why i saw it wasn't anything good, but some trump thing site  - which i found out is apparently a big spamming thing happening to lots of people - now though, my traffic has been at zero since the spike and spam - no page views since that day 5 days ago which cannot be possible!!! Smiley Sad if you figure anything out let me know Smiley Happy B

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Read and apply solution in reply above

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Lauren,

Doesn't worth to suffer with it. We excluded IP-s from our website - no matter. At the end of the day GA cleaned a great bunch of the false visits, but I realised that a NEW ONE went through:

Google officially recommends o-o-8-o-o.com search shell!

As a language set-up.

Now I strongly believe that Google lost the game, and Russians won. For YEARS Google did not react anything on linkspam, keyword spam etc., although it was reported and found all over the world. Webmasters suffered with complicated Views and Filters, trying to understand the AWFUL Google translations (I am Google AdWords qualified consultant, I know what I am talking about when I say it is NOT understandable!!!), and practically nothing changed. Logically: you can define a spammer as a spammer only afterwards. And you cannot modify the data backwards.

Let's be clear: if Google Analytics doesn't clear the data backwards, the statistics are useless for trend calculations FOREVER. 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Let's not make a mountain of a mole hill. The affected metrics are in negligible amounts.

Even so:

- spammy content in the Language field is now taken care of

- spammy referrers are now dealt with when using a Hostname include filter or my collection key method (http://juliencoquet.com/en/2016/06/17/how-can-handle-google-analytics-referrer-spam/?utm_id=tcen)

Spammy leftovers should be identifiable easily and dealt with accordingly with filters.

If you find that data is not usable, you should always have two views: 

1- Raw data view, with no filters, helps identify spammy entries

2- Filtered (production) view, with filters and clean data ;-)

Try taking a look often rather than not, so that any spammy entry does not turn into a problem for lack of attention.

Also, another method that can be used is to export various value lists and have a script look for new, unusual values that can be filtered upon review.

Google Analytics is the best free analytics there is out there and also the most visible, making it a target for "hackers", much like Wordpress for blog/site software. IF you don't want "the attention", you're definitely free to select another analytics package (Piwik, OWA, etc.)