AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Reporting on Specific URL Set

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

My company recently started a content marketing campaign to attract leads for our contract management software. We'd like to see what impact our newly published articles have in terms of attracting visitors to our website, and we want to separate the entrances through our newly published pages from traffic being referred from other pages on the site (e.g. pricing, API).

Because we are publishing these new pages in various section of our website, there are no regular expressions or other easy ways to identify where our content marketing pages have been published, which makes it a bit more difficult to identify them. For instance, some of them are published under www.concordnow.com/page/..., and the majority of them are published under at the root directory (/) of our website.

My question is this, can someone explain (or guide me to an explanation) how to create a view of our data that includes each of these pages (currently about 100, but growing every day) as a separate group? I've looked through Content Groupings, Advanced Segments, and other potential ways to do reporting, and I can't find any that appear to allow me to simply dump a list of URL and report on the performance of just those URLs. Essentially, I just want a restricted view of the Behavior report, one that limits the URLs in the report to those I designate.

I appreciate any help anyone can provide.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Reporting on Specific URL Set

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Richard,

if you want to widen the data you currently have available to better grain your content base you can use:
A) Custom dimensions - this will allow you to filter views and use segmentation and filtering inside a view - the values you would pass as a custom dimension can be completely abstracted from the content itself where you can describe some meta information needed for filtering
B) Content grouping - this is definitely nice to have and applies to most page related Behaviour reports (not applicable to view filters though)

How to implement - the procedure is basically the same - create custom dimensions / content grouping in GA admin - property and view level respectively and add code to tracking.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/custom-dims-mets#overview
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2853546?hl=en&ref_topic=1727167

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net