Analytics
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Regular Expression Search in SEO Reports Not Working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I try to apply ANY regular expression filter to the SEO>Queries report, it returns an error saying that the expression is invalid, no matter what I put in there. Anyone else having this issue?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Regular Expression Search in SEO Reports Not Working

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jacob B :-)
I've not had any trouble with it so far.
Are you able to provide an example of the expression you are trying to enter?

Thanks
Bronwyn
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I want to make sure we're both looking at the same report:

In Analytics:

Acquisition>Search Engine Optimization>Queries

Once inside Queries report, click on "Advanced" search option. Change the query rules to "Include (or Exclude) Queries Matching RegEx". Type ANYTHING in there and apply the settings, it always returns "Invalid Regular Expression". A few expressions I've tried so far:

Copeland|Copland
\(not provided\)|\(not set\)|enmerson|emerson climate technologies|.*emerson.*|browning.*|copeland.*|dixell|fusite|therm\-o\-disc|therm|disc|vilter|rodgers|rogers|sensi.*|alco

Any help would be much appreciated.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Jacob B :-)

Thanks for posting back with further information.
I'm going to try and escalate this as I have had the same thing occur when testing and not just in relation to applying regex.
It does only seem to be occurring in the Acquisition > SEO reports from what i could tell.
Bare in mind that Google often just fix issues without posting any response/replies, so you may have to clear cookies and test it on and off
over the next few days to see if its been resolved.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Hope you can escalate this. Problem was first reported nearly two months ago but nothing has changed. Other experts said that it was a matter of waiting....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Still not working! I also need this. To reproduce the error, I tried the queries here : https://support.google.com/a/answer/1371417?hl=en with no success.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi :-)

Ive not been given any further information regarding this issue at this point in time. Hang in there and appreciate your patience

Thanks
Bronwyn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi I am still seeing this error.