Analytics
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Regex Help - Segments

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

This query has to do with segments rather than filters.

I am trying to isolate data for a group of pages using a segment and creating a Regex OR formula. I want the segment to contain a group of 50 pages. However, my Regex (shown below) only seems to return the first page.

^/b2b-sales-funnel-look-like-can-convert-leads-opportunities-faster.*|^/lead-generation-targets-financial-goals.*|^/data-backed-buyer-persona-development.*|^/inbound-marketing-content-strategy.*|^/planning-inbound-marketing-campaign.*|^/hubspot-blog-migration.*|^/4-workflow-automation-tips-help-busy-b2b-marketers-convert-leads.*|^/buyer-personas-shorten-software-sales-cycle.*|^/buyers-journey-content-reduce-software-sales-cycle.*|^/youtube-advertising-how-trueview-helps-inbound-marketing-campaigns.*|^/what-is-inbound-sales.*|^/linkedin-account-targeting.*|^/inbound-marketing-campaign-checklist.*|^/inbound-campaign-content-hubs.*|^/inbound-marketing-channel-promotion.*|^/inbound-marketing-podcast.*|^/mapping-content-buying-cycle.*|^/paid-advertising-inbound-marketing.*|^/gated-content-best-practices.*|^/lead-nurturing-inbound-marketing.*|^/how-often-should-a-business-blog.*|^/should-i-have-competitor-connections-linkedin.*|^/content-marketing-channel-strategy.*|^/inbound-marketing-campaigns.*|^/infographic-inbound-marketing-mistakes.*|^/inbound-marketing-glossary.*|^/inbound-sales-b2b-companies.*|^/inbound-sales-methodology.*|^/inbound-marketing-business-goals.*|^/inbound-marketing-campaign-optimisation.*|^/marketing-budget-by-channel.*|^/account-based-marketing-tactics.*|^/lead-nurturing-email-best-practices.*|^/inbound-marketing-social-media-strategy.*|^/inbound-sales-tips.*|^/inbound-marketing-cro.*|^/why-use-linkedin-sponsored-inmail.*|^/inbound-marketing-questions-answered.*|^/best-time-inbound-sales-conversation.*|^/linkedin-prospecting-best-practices.*|^/what-can-learn-hubspot-training-courses.*|^/effective-content-marketing-formats.*|^/b2b-blog-post-best-practices.*|^/how-conduct-first-inbound-sales-call.*|^/inbound-sales-barriers.*|^/inbound-marketing-vs-outbound.*|^/lead-data-sales-reps-first-call.*|^/lead-nurturing-tactics.*|^/how-resource-inbound-content.*|^/what-is-a-compounding-blog-post.*

Sorry to just paste the whole thing but thought it might help :-)

When I save this segment GA only returns data for the first page ie /b2b-sales-funnel-look-like-can-convert-leads-opportunities-faster

Does anybody know where I might be going wrong?

Many Thanks

Anna

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anna G
June 2016

Re: Regex Help - Segments

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
The problem is that in every page that you include in your regex you use "^". For example:

^/b2b-sales-funnel-look-like-can-convert-leads-opportunities-faster.*|^/lead-generation-targets-financial-goals.*|^/data-backed-buyer-persona-development.*

To make it work remove "^" sign from everywhere except for the first expression and escape (use "\") every slash character in your expression. Using above example:

^\/b2b-sales-funnel-look-like-can-convert-leads-opportunities-faster.*|\/lead-generation-targets-financial-goals.*|\/data-backed-buyer-persona-development.*

To make sure that your expression works as expected I would highly recommend using regexr.com. It's simple yet powerful.

Please let me know if it worked for you - I tried it the way I provided in the example and it seems that it matches all your pages.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Andrzej

Thanks very much for providing a solution. It worked perfectly!

I understand where I went wrong with not escaping the forward slashes, but I thought a ^ means that this is the beginning of the url. So that is why I put them in.

Why does the ^ only go before the first uri and not the others?

Thanks again for your help :-)

Anna

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Glad I could help Smiley Happy.

As for your question - "^" literally means "there can't be any other character before me" Smiley Happy. So when you add second "^" in your regular expression then above rule is automatically violated and expression doesn't check anything after this point. It's because before second "^" you have some part of your regular expression. So expression will only work for the part before second "^".