AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Referral search and replace filter only works with Campaign Source field

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm trying to make a search-and-replace filter to strip device-specific subdomains from referral domains.

Field: Referral
Search: ^m\.|^touch\.
Replace: (blank)

But it only works if I filter the "Campaign Source" field instead of the "Referral" field..

Any idea why this is?
1 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Daniel!

You are doing it good! Use the Campaign Source field. Like that you will be able to filter these referral domains. "Campaign Source" is on reality "Source".

However I think you just want to delete the traffic coming from those referrals. If you do search and replace, you are just changing the name of the source, not removing the referral traffic. If you apply the filter you explained you will still receive traffic as '(not set) / referral'.

I suggest you to use Exclude Filter and Exclude Campaign Source in order to remove totally the traffic coming from (m\.|^touch\.) / referral

Bets regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks. Not looking to exclude, just consolidate.

In that case, what is the Referral field for?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Daniel,

Try ^(m|touch)\. in your search expression.

You might also consider editing your default channel grouping [1] to achieve consolidation and bundling in your referrals and other marketing channels.

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6010097?hl=en#edit_default_channel_grouping

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, but I need to consolidate referral source.

Still curious about what the Referral field is for in filters.