AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Referral exclusion list not working for payment gateway

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I added my payment gateway domain into Refferal Exclusion list, as well as add utm_nooverride=1 to returning thank you page. Unfortunately i still see my payment domain as refferal. I did test by removing cookies, incognito window, digging with WASP or Analytics debugger tool but no chance. There is no redirection on landing thank you page. All refferals from this payment gateway is returning visit. 

Where or What shall i look for?  

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Referral exclusion list not working for payment gateway

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Serdar,

As you mentioned all of them are returning visits. The referral exclusion list does not work for traffic that is already cookied. If a returning visitor had a referral source set before you added it to the list and then visits as direct, they will still have that referral source. Please check your session settings under Property -> Tracking Info -> Session Settings -> Campaign Timeout. If it's set to six months for example, it will take six months for all the self referrals to disappear. Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Serdal, first of all if it's possible I would recommend to use Direct Payment Gateways so customers would not leave your website. It cost more but it will solve your problem in the most effective way.

If it's not possible please make sure that you are checking correct time range (any visit/sales attributed to gateway before adding gateway to the referral exclusion list will still be attributed to gateway in your reports.)

Please let me know if you have been using correct time range and if yes we would investigate your problem deeper.

Cheers,
Alexey
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Arnold, but as i said i tested my own session, by removing cookies, in incognito window and checked with real time data. It still overwrites my original source( i enter via organic).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Alexey, i checked after adding to the referral list by deleting all cookies, in a incognito window and carefully check via debugger tools with real time data. Also it was my sandbox account, so it only accepted my own IP.