Analytics
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Referral Exclusion - Help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My site is a sub-domain of a top-level domain. The top-level domain is managed by a different team so it can be somewhat challenging to keep things in sync.

We recently noticed we were getting zero referral traffic from the top-level domain, which was concerning because it used to be a top referral. I noticed there was a referral exclusion set up to exclude the top-level domain so we removed it. A few follow up questions:

1. Over the period of time that the referral exclusion was active, were sessions still counted even though the exclusion was in place? Or were they removed all-together and our referral traffic numbers were actually incorrect?
  2. Now that I have removed the exclusion, I'm seeing self-referrals coming in (eg, site.domain.com is a top referral to site.domain.com). Should I create a new referral exclusion and add my own sub-domain? The tricky thing is, I don't want to exclude other sub-domains. For example, I want to see referral traffic from domain.com and all of it's sub-domains (there are numerous sub-domains), with the exception of my own. Is that possible?

I appreciate any insight!

Re: Referral Exclusion - Help!

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

For working details and session behavior please refer:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

Best Regards,
GA Guru.

'Star' or 'Accept as Solution' if it helped.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks. This answers my first question about how sessions were counted while the exclusion was active. Regarding my question about self-referrals, that article says, "Google Analytics automatically excludes the domain associated with a property as a referral source, so you won’t see self-referrals in your Analytics reports." The problem is, I'm seeing my domain as a referral source and according to that, I shouldn't be.

How do I fix this?

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Check the date range of your reports.

GA configurations only work moving forward and not on already processed data/reports.

Best Regards,
GA Guru.

'Star' or 'Accept as Solution' if it helped.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The date range is not the issue. I changed the date range to last week only and I'm still seeing my domain as a referral source and again, according to the link you sent me, I shouldn't be seeing my own site as a referral.

Please help.

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Can you please give the website URL and the referral exclusion list you have added?