AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Referral Exclusion - Help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My site is a sub-domain of a top-level domain. The top-level domain is managed by a different team so it can be somewhat challenging to keep things in sync.

We recently noticed we were getting zero referral traffic from the top-level domain, which was concerning because it used to be a top referral. I noticed there was a referral exclusion set up to exclude the top-level domain so we removed it. A few follow up questions:

1. Over the period of time that the referral exclusion was active, were sessions still counted even though the exclusion was in place? Or were they removed all-together and our referral traffic numbers were actually incorrect?
  2. Now that I have removed the exclusion, I'm seeing self-referrals coming in (eg, site.domain.com is a top referral to site.domain.com). Should I create a new referral exclusion and add my own sub-domain? The tricky thing is, I don't want to exclude other sub-domains. For example, I want to see referral traffic from domain.com and all of it's sub-domains (there are numerous sub-domains), with the exception of my own. Is that possible?

I appreciate any insight!

Re: Referral Exclusion - Help!

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

For working details and session behavior please refer:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

Best Regards,
GA Guru.

'Star' or 'Accept as Solution' if it helped.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks. This answers my first question about how sessions were counted while the exclusion was active. Regarding my question about self-referrals, that article says, "Google Analytics automatically excludes the domain associated with a property as a referral source, so you won’t see self-referrals in your Analytics reports." The problem is, I'm seeing my domain as a referral source and according to that, I shouldn't be.

How do I fix this?

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Check the date range of your reports.

GA configurations only work moving forward and not on already processed data/reports.

Best Regards,
GA Guru.

'Star' or 'Accept as Solution' if it helped.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The date range is not the issue. I changed the date range to last week only and I'm still seeing my domain as a referral source and again, according to the link you sent me, I shouldn't be seeing my own site as a referral.

Please help.

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Can you please give the website URL and the referral exclusion list you have added?