Analytics
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Recovering data lost to filter

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently added a filter to my account, but I had it configured incorrectly. I lost about a weeks worth of data and I was wondering whether there was a way to recover it? I have the filter working correctly now, but I would love to get that data back.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Graham C
February 2016

Re: Recovering data lost to filter

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Graham :-)
Unfortunately recovering the lost data is not possible.
Usually, best practice is to leave your initial default View without any filters applied to it
Create another View for testing purposes, so you can apply and remove filters to test how they behave
and then have a "Master" View for reporting that filters can be applied to once they have been tested and are
known to work.
Following this setup helps prevent data loss

Thanks
Bronwyn
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Has google solved this?

Please let me know how it works? I need this ASAP

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Georgiana C

Sorry to be the barer of bad news, this is not something that is 'solvable', this is how filters work.

If you follow best practices by leaving the default All Website Views filter free and then create and use a testing View before applying filters to one (or more) of your main reporting Views, it will help prevent data loss from incorrectly configured filters

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here