Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Question about using 2 filters in a sequence-based segment

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just a quick question about using two filters in a sequence-based GA segment. Do these 2 filters mean "both filters apply" or "either filter applies"? See below. I want to exclude anyone who lands on the homepage and then immediately goes to login or careers page, OR, anyone who lands directly on the login or careers pages. Is my segment configured properly?

Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 8.15.56 AM.png

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Alison,

If you use 2 sequences in the same segment, they get 'AND' relationship that means bot filters apply.

Cheers!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks! Wouldn't that mean my segment filters would cancel each other out and return nothing? Since the filter says landing page = homepage and the other filter says landing page = careers page OR login page? 

I guess what I need to know is whether a session needs to fit BOTH filter's criteria, or only 1 to qualify for the segment.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Sorry, I just realized that you are using "Exclude" on your filters. If you were using them as "include", yes, it would cancel each other and show zero.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A bit confused—wouldn't 'include' and 'exclude' follow the same filter rules? ie. if both filters rules must apply for a session to qualify for the segment, this would also cancel out exclusions. Based on the results the segment is returning, it seems like either filter can apply to a session for it to qualify. Am I wrong? Perhaps I've configured the segment incorrectly?