Analytics
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Potential drawbacks of setting separate views for each language subdirectory

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everybody,

I have a new client who owns a large ecommerce websites in 6 countries

For a website revamp, he has decided to switch from a multiple domain structure to a subdirectory one

That is, from

myclient.com

myclient.co.uk

myclient.fr

to

myclient.com/us
myclient.com/uk

myclient.com/fr
and so forth.

In the past, every domain was tracked in a separate account (this is quite strange I know)

I've done a lot of research on this subject already, and the conclusion is that the best solution is to use a single property for the domain, and create a separate view for each domain. This allow to get:

- Clean structure

- Roll-up view

- No cross-site multiple sessions

- Easy implementation

I wonder if there are drawbacks though. 

Provided that they won't get the data collection 10M limit, that's not an issue. 

Are there other possibile limitations? I mean in setting custom events,  enhanced ecommerce tracking (e.g. with currencies), and other advanced tracking.

Also, I am going to link Adwords data and Search Console data... possible problems?

Thank you for your answers!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Potential drawbacks of setting separate views for each language subdirectory

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Alessandro,

I'd be in favour of an one-property one-view cross-domain setup in your case. Keep in mind that if you will dive deeper into Analytics, you have to copy and keep consistent every single piece of view-specific configuration. Okay, some assets may be shared easily between views. However, you will be much more flexible to handle everything in one common view. Think of what's really needed in your company for country-specific reporting. Maybe it's just a country, language, or country-specific directory report that can be easily set up with custom reports and saved with shortcuts.

Christoph

Re: Potential drawbacks of setting separate views for each language subdirectory

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Chris.
It's now all published under one domain, But I guess that it does Not matter
How would you manage to get a roll-up view in that scenario? Is it OK to use An extra tracker with a distinct roll up id?
Can I link the same Adwords account to multiple properties?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Alessandro,

Do you mean roll-up properties? That's a feature of Google Analytics Premium (GA 360 since this week) only.

I mean, if you use one common view for all data, it's something like a roll-up view.

Christoph

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Christopher, I am not sure I got your answer right.
With one-property one-view do you mean to create one property with just one main view for each subdirectory, or just a unique property with only one view for the website altogether? For the latter would not fit my case, cause every subfolder pertains to a national branch that's quite independent and needs to have a subset of data, especially for ecommerce conversion rates. Also, you cannot set different currencies in the same view I am afraid.
The former could be instead something like this

ACCOUNT
Property 1 myclient.com/us UA-000000-01
Property 2 myclient.com/uk UA-000000-02
Property 3 myclient.com/fr UA-000000-03
Property nn myclient.com/fr UA-000000-nn

This isolate the subset of data but does not permit a roll-up.