Analytics
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Positive pageviews eventhough URL should be excluded by segment

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am looking at the number of pageviews in the Behavior tab. I have added two segmentations based on the 'page' criteria - one where 'page' contains '/Administration/Index#tasks' and one where 'page' does not contain '/Administration/Index#tasks'. Eventhough there shouldn't be an intersection between these two segmentations the number of pageviews is positive for each segmentation for pages like '/Administration/Index#tasks/dayrythm' - my expectation would be that it should always be 0 for segmentation where 'page' does not contain '/Administration/Index#tasks'.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lise L
February 2016

Re: Positive pageviews eventhough URL should be excluded by segment

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Segments work to select which Sessions are included in the report. When you segment on a page, you select all sessions that matched the criteria. If someone visited your homepage and then visited your /Administration page, the session would match for the homepage 'does not contain' test. You need to fix the logic to EXCLUDE sessions that CONTAINS your /Administration term.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Positive pageviews eventhough URL should be excluded by segment

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply - it makes sense when you understand the context Smiley Happy