Analytics
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Pages after hash symbol are being tracked (and I don't want them to be!)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

We have an online application that uses a map, so the main and pretty much only page string is /map/. When you view the map the url will often be something like /map/#/23282212332.45,-213223145645 - basically with the latitude and longitude of the middle of the map.

I don't want to track all those as separate pages obviously as I get into high-cardinality very quickly.

Until last week this seemed to be fine and they weren't being tracked, but then since Tuesday it seems like they are being tracked as separate 'pages', so my page views have gone wayy up. However they are being tracked without the hash symbol, so in the example above it would show as /map/23282212332.45,-213223145645

Is there something I can do as a filter, or as a main settings within GA, or even something to do with the core code? I'm using ga.js if it makes any difference.

Thanks!

Is there a url 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Pages after hash symbol are being tracked (and I don't want them to be!)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi :-)
Usually urls with hashes in them require extra code in order to be tracked, GA doesnt usually do it out of the box.
Is there a customized tracking code snippet being used on the website?
Are there any filters applied to the GA View?
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bronwyn,

That is what has got me confused - it doesn't appear to be following normal convention! There are no filters applied that would affect (just an exclude internal IPs one), and I've tried a test profile adding # even as a exclude query parameter but no luck.

Tracking code snippet looks fairly normal to me. Only change is some server side event tracking i think:
var _gaq = _gaq || [];
_gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-myuserid-9']);
_gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);
function google_track_event(category,action,optLabel,optVal)
{
_gaq.push(['_trackEvent',category,action,optLabel,optVal]);
}

(function() {
var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
ga.src=('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
})();

I might have to speak to the developers and see if they did anything last week to change it but thought I would try and work out if it was something I could help fix first.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Filters wont work retroactivley and can take 24-48hrs to start having an effect on the report data
You could create a new View and apply a filter to combine all those pages with map in the url
eg
Custom Filter
Search and Replace
Search String - /map/.*
Replace String - /map/
(You will need to test this)
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's a great idea - I'll run that in a test profile for a couple of days and see if that sorts it but looks like it will from a 'verify' initial check. Thanks very much!