Analytics
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Organic vs. Medium/Organic vs. Default Channel Grouping (Organic Search): causes of differences?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm now on looking for organic traffic. To do so i apply to all pages (behavior→site content) second dimension and wonder about results differences:

1. On applying of Acquisition→Default Channel Grouping and filtering for Organic Search

i get same results as

2. on applying of Acquisition→Medium and filtering for organic.

But the both results differ from results i get

3. on applying of Acquisition→Source/Medium and filtering for organic.

The difference is weird too: till the number of whole pageviews is the same, the numbers of pageviews per url differ, and on applying of Acquisition→Source/Medium and filtering for organic i get different amount of urls, as in the first and second selecting arts.

Could somebody explain me causes of these differences?

Re: Organic vs. Medium/Organic vs. Default Channel Grouping (Organic Search): causes of differences?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi
Well I dont quite understand the purpose of having traffic source as secondary dimension at page level report.
But I tried the experiment which you described and I didnt get any discrepancy, are you facing sampling in your reports?
Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Organic vs. Medium/Organic vs. Default Channel Grouping (Organic Search): causes of differences?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I know this was asked 2 years ago, but I stumbled upon it looking for a different question, but since I'm here I decided I will give my 2 cents and answer this question too. 

Sometimes it is hard to understand with large numbers, so let's work on smaller hypothetical numbers. Let's say you got this traffic:

example.com/page1

2 visits from Google

1 visit from Yahoo

example.com/page2

5 visits from Google

Assuming that was all the traffic you got.

1. On applying of Acquisition→Default Channel Grouping and filtering for Organic Search

You will see:
example.com/page1 

3 visits from Organic Search

example.com/page2

5 visits from Organic Search

2. on applying of Acquisition→Medium and filtering for organic.

You will see:
example.com/page1 

3 visits from Organic

example.com/page2

5 visits from Organic

3. on applying of Acquisition→Source/Medium and filtering for organic.

You will see:

example.com/page1 

2 visits from Google/Organic

example.com/page1 

1 visits from Yahoo/Organic

example.com/page2

5 visits from Google/Organic

It will appear like you have 3 URLs instead of 2. It is pretty obvious in this example but in Google Analytics, the list can be very long and is initially sorted by sessions, descending. So if there is a large difference between Google/Organic traffic with Yahoo/Organic traffic and all the Google ones are on top of the list, it isn't that obvious that the Yahoo's are listed there too, they are just way at the bottom you didn't notice them.