Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Order of processing filters, querystrings etc

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was reading this post (would a filter that removes query parameters affect site search?) and it ended with a question, whereby it seemed some site search URLs were being processed to find Search Terms before a filter was applied.

I was using a filter to convert a #url into a querystring and I hadn't seen anything in the search terms report 10 hours later.  This may be because of a filter delay, but I ended up doing an earlier conversion of the passed URL by GTM as I didn't want to miss anything else. 

I was wondering - is there anything definitive anywhere about the order of processing of filters, search term querystrings and other functionality?  That would be a handy resource.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Order of processing filters, querystrings etc

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi MBIE,

I have not tested it yet. (That was my response in the post you mentioned.) The expected behavior is as I laid it out (this was from GA engineers at the time).

You are doing the best possible implementation by actually shaping the data in GTM.

Whenever I do get some time to test, I'll post in the original.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn