Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Number of sessions changing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been having some issues with Google Analytics as I monitor a couple of sites. I'm having some problems with the number of sessions changing when I apply a filter, and the number of sessions changing from day to day.

For example, this says there were 3,545 sessions on October 19 (screenshot below).

Screen Shot for forum - 2.png

But when I apply a filter, the number of sessions decreases to 715 for All Users and 704 sessions for the filter (screenshot below). 

Screen Shot for forum - 3.png

I can't figure out why this is happening. The same issue has been occurring with another site as well. But I have talked with someone else I work with, and he is not having this problem. Does anyone have any input as to why this is happening?

Additionally, I have seen the number of sessions change from day to day for specific days in the past. For example, today when I checked the number of sessions for Oct. 18, it said there were 3,557 sessions for All Users and 3,347 sessions for the filter (screenshot below). 

Screen Shot for forum - 5.png

But yesterday, when I checked the number of sessions for Oct. 18, it said there were 613 sessions for All Users and 594 sessions for the filter - that is significantly less than the numbers it is reporting today. I have been tracking the number of sessions for some other past dates and I have seen the session number change a bit from day to day as well. Does anyone have any input as to why this is happening?

I'd very much appreciate any insight you might be able to provide. Thanks!
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Number of sessions changing

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Kalyd,

1:  When you are applying your segment, you could be subject to sampling so look for the sampling indicator to see if that's the case.  When sampled all data is impacted.

2.  Intra-day processing happens all day until and if you hit the data limits.  After there is a final nightly process that runs so you can see some variances when looking at traffic for today and then looking at it a day later.  (If you were doing that.)

Hope that helps.

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn