Analytics
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Not understanding this data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I currently have views set up on my multi-site wordpress website. 

However, when I look at my data (at a glance) I am not understanding the data. 

The overall website has 31,989 sessions

But when I look at my views, lets say there are 7 of them, the sessions are as follows: 29,622 / 157 / 33,872 / 873 / 32,003 / 29,666 / 29,718

In my head I am thinking the overall website MyWebsite.com would include all of these sessions in total and then the subsites have their own stats. 

Is my main website mywebsite.com bein seen differently than mywebsite.com/subsite1 ?

What am I missing here?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

What is your structure? for example is it:

Property > View 1, View 2, View 3, View 4, View 5, View 6, View 7. Where View 1 is all your data and the other views are separate parts of the same website?

What filters have you in place on the separate views? Does view 1 have a filter? Do you have an entirely unfiltered view?

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Main Website
Filters for company IP addresses
Full Referrer - which consists of (.*)

View 1 (which is a subsite - mydomain.com/subsite1
Filter: Include - Request URI - ^/subsite1(/|$)

View 2 (which is a subsite - mydomain.com/subsite2
Filter: Include - Request URI - ^/subsite2(/|$)

View 3 (which is a subsite - mydomain.com/subsite3
Filter: Include - Request URI - ^/subsite3(/|$)

And just today I created a view that is just for the main site
Predifined > Include Only > traffic to the hostname > that contain >

MyDomain.com

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Do the views 1, 2 and 3 contain the filters also present on 'Main Website'?

I would also recommend creating a view with no filters what so ever.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

1. you may have elements at the root and the other views may be fragmenting the sessions and artificially increasing the session count.

2. your views/sites are all sharing a single GA cookie - is that what you really want?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Shouldn't the main website filters for IP's go across anything that has "MyDomain.com"?

My website is a Wordpress site with several child sites set up:

MyDomain.com -- Main Site
MyDomain.com/event1 - Child Site
MyDomain.com/event1 - Child Site

(And all of the child sites have their own set of pages for event info, contact, etc.

We literally have hundreds of events per year and these events can change every year so it is not really feasable to have a GA code for every single child site right? Plus this is a wordpress website so everything sits under one domain

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

When you say 'main website filters' do you mean a view, in Google Analytics, called main website, or similar, which has the IP filters present?

Each view you create, from the same property, is unaffected by the filters you have on any other views.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Even if I put our company IP filter on the child sites it would only result in maybe 100 hits.

But if my main site (www.mydomain.com) is getting 6,463 sessions in a given time period

How is one of my subsites (www.mydomain.com/event1) getting 6,456

and another (www.mydomain.com/event2) getting 456

Wouldn't all of the subsite sessions need to add up to equal what the overall sessions of my main site is getting since my main site should be calculating those?

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

I would recommend that you compare against an entirely unfiltered view - however, I've seen similar differences in other properties and as long as it's not massive then I would not worry too much about it.