AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

No "new filter" button

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have edit permission on my Google Analytics account, but when I go to create filters, there is no "new filter" button. How do I access it? 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Nicky Y (Top Contributor)
August 2016

Re: No "new filter" button

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

You must have edit permissions at the Analytics Account level (not Property or View level) in order to 

create/edit filters at the Account or View level 

or apply filters to any View in the Analytics Account

Edit permissions at the analytics Property or View level only, will only allow you 

to apply or remove existing filters to a View (not edit existing filters or create new ones)

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034823?hl=en

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Depending on your access rights, you can either add filter at the account or view level. Maybe you're not at the right level to create a filter.

Go to Admin > View > Filters and you should be set.
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have the same problem Shweta.... Although we have the 'edit' permissions I don't think this is enough to be able to add filters, I think we need to speak to the overall a/c administrator.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If you have Edit permission then there should be +ADD FILTER button. Ask admin (Manage Users) to check again.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Nicky Y (Top Contributor)
August 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

You must have edit permissions at the Analytics Account level (not Property or View level) in order to 

create/edit filters at the Account or View level 

or apply filters to any View in the Analytics Account

Edit permissions at the analytics Property or View level only, will only allow you 

to apply or remove existing filters to a View (not edit existing filters or create new ones)

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034823?hl=en

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

d w
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
d w
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
After a a few hours on this problems your answer was the key...! It looked like we had permeissions... but it was only at the View level. This was because the admin (in this case another GA account) had included us, but not enable the account change permissions a the account level. Once in the 'correct' admin account we 'fixed' the user permissions and all was good.

Thanks for taking the time to point out this little bump in road...

@ google... suggest you advise users (on the page) that Filters can not be added unless you are logged in at "Account Level" as compared to current login status " Property or View level"

No "new filter" button

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am one of the admins but I still do not see the add filter button.  I have all four permissions.  Is this upper level permission located somewhere other than the admin/property permissions page?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Tritech F

Account level permissions are a level above Property permissions in the ga account hierarchy

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1009618?hl=en

Filter Permissions
Users who have Edit permission at the account level can:
Create/edit filters at the account level
Create/edit filters at the view level
Apply filters to any view in the account

Users who have Edit permission at the view level can:
Apply existing filters to or remove them from that view, but cannot create new filters or edit existing filters

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034823?hl=en&ref_topic=1032939

filters.jpg

No "new filter" button

G E
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
G E
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the answer, but there is a misunderstanding.  I have all four permissions on that page (all of those boxes are checked), but there is still no add filter button.  I am on the

AdministrationView Permissions page, and there are only 2 of us and we both should have all permissions.  All of the boxes are checked.  So I need to know if there is another page where permissions can be given.  Thank you for your help! 

No "new filter" button

G E
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
G E
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Okay - looked closer at your image and realized you are on the admin> user management page.  That explains it.  Thanks again!