Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

No historical data for copied views - WHY?!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Referral spam is getting out of control for the many websites that I administer, so I wanted to create a view that filters that spam out. However, I do not want to mess with my existing data, so I want to copy the existing view and keep that as a backup. Google does not allow this - copied views do not contain any historical data. Can anyone shed light as to why Google does not duplicate the historical data when you copy a view? 

This is incredibly frustrating because I need all of my views to have all of the historical data so that I can add a filter, see how that affects my data moving forward, and adjust based on those results. I also have to show my clients their analytics information, including historical information, and I can't show them reports that only have the most recent month. I am going to continue to have to show them reports filled with referral spam because Google does not allow me to duplicate historical data. Like, they won't even let you duplicate it to have a clean backup. So if there are any issues in the future with these filters, my only clean data source will be compromised.

Are they serious? How can they have such an egregious oversight in their software? I guess on every site I build moving forward I am going to create 10 clean new views, but this doesn't help me fix my data for my 30+ existing clients. Incredibly frustrated right now.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: No historical data for copied views - WHY?!

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

Sorry to hear that! I have the same problem, but I use one unfiltered view ( https://analyticsacademy.withgoogle.com/course01/unit?unit=4&lesson=2 So this is my escape route.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have the same problem. The link sergey_b113 posted returns a "500 Internal Server Error", so I can't comment on that. I guess the only solution is really to make as many clean views at the beginning as the Analytics system will allow. And even that isn't a long term and functional solution.

UPDATE: I saw the video in the link sergey_b113 posted and it's a basic lesson on how to manage your account. I don't think that's where the problem truly lies. It isn't a bug, it's a way it's designed. The master (raw) and test views don't cut it, because they are not usable within a GA system. What I mean is when you apply filters etc. on them, you destroy them. For me it's also a big flaw in design. There should be at least some kind of historical data available. In low converting sites or sites with lower visit count the test (for it to become statistically significant) can take longer periods of time, because you start from scratch. So - make as many extra views from views you have, so they can gather data for future use.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Adam :-)
You cant fix the historical data with filters. Filters do not work on historical data, they only work going forward on new data from the time the filter is applied.
Best thing you can do to see clean past data is to use segments.

General best practice is to leave the default All Website Data without any filters, so as to always have a raw, unedited copy of all site data.
A Testing View for testing filters etc on
and a Master View, to which filters can be applied after they have been tested to ensure they work correctly so as .
Other Views as required according to reporting needs.

Following free resource is quite handy for creation and updating of spam filters and they also provide segments too
https://referrerspamblocker.com/
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

[ Edited ]
T G
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
T G
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn,

I was looking for this answer this morning. I am slowly catching onto GA - and I thought "Ah! I can create a New View of my Raw data that I can apply filters too." - That does not mean it will apply the filter to the historical data - but I can watch the effect of the filter in a view with historical data.

I think the frustration from some posters, including myself, is that we want to see the data "trend down" in the same testing view (as opposed to clicking between views). Does that make sense? In my specific case - I had to create my companies first RAW view in January - after my predecessors collected FILTERED data for years by applying filters to the single original view! To compound the issue - they added a handful of filters - except the IP blocker of our company. Smiley Sad

Hope this helps anybody that reads it. Hope I didn't hijack the thread - I was just hoping to add to the conversation.

I just watched the video on ReferralSpamBlocker.com - it was probably the most concise explanation of Segments I have seen. Kudos to them.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi TG :-)
I do completely understand the frustration and have felt it myself on occasions too :-)
It would be nice if when copying a View, there were an option to create the copy with the historical
data included (even if only back dated 3mths).. or not
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Serious question for the group:

Is the below information currently accurate, and does it actually mean that new view have access to all data captured with the unique property id?

Analytics automatically creates one unfiltered view for every property in your account, but you can set up multiple views on a single property. Any data you send to an Analytics property automatically appears in all views associated with that property. For example, if you collect data from two websites and send it to one property, then data from both websites appears in all reporting views on that property.

from: About Views: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2649553?hl=en&ref_topic=6014102

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Like everyone else in this forum, I too would like to have historical data in copied views. Otherwise there is little to no difference between copying views and creating new views. Why doesn't Google allow historical data in copied views? Is there a reason for this that we are all missing?

Also, where is the suggestion area where we can post and vote on suggestions for Google Analytics? I've seen it for other products, but can't find it for GA.

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
Hi TravelClick,

This has always been the case, new views start collecting data from the day they are created and should be, but unfortunately isn't for most, part of the initial data strategy. All users should have at the very least an unfiltered view, at least one analysis or main view and at least a testing view (where new filters are verified).

I wouldn't expect this ever to change. That said, you can post a request here:

https://code.google.com/p/analytics-issues/issues/list

The good news is that it's easy to use the API or, better yet, Google Data Studio to easily compare data from more than one view.

Another more complicated solution is to create another property in your current account and dual track. Then, over time, you can eventually phase out the old property when you have enough historical data collected.

The reality is that you will always be making some adjustments to any views as you curate what's collected; so use annotations, try to do it on the first day of the month to have a clear demarcation, and keep analyzing!

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

No historical data for copied views - WHY?!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

in video linked at time 3:39 it says that when creating a new view analitycs doesn't automaticly copy historical data. Are we sure there is no way to do it after? Thanks