Analytics
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

No data for subdomain: filter not working

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Googlers!

Several days ago I decided to create a different view so I can see the traffic, keywords, etc. to a semi-new subdomain. I created a new view and then applied a filter. Although the tracking code is absolutely correct (checked several times) the filter doesn't show any info - even real time views.

I waited 24h to pass after making the changes you'll see on those 2 images. Any suggestions?

New View

Filter

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi The Sisters!

First let me say that I had the opportunity to spend a few weeks in Plovdiv and absolutely loved Bulgaria.  (I would love for you to tell me what's in those delicious street shwarmas with the chicken, fries, chilli sauce, etc.  also what they are called!  Smiley Happy )

Second, you are using a predefined filter with a RegExp pattern.  I'm not a big fan of predefined filters but I think you drop that escapes "\" you should be okay.  Personally, I would just change this to a custom filter>>include>> hostname and use the pattern you posted here.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo! 

Thank you so much for your answer Smiley Happy I will give it a go and update the information here. As for the food you're talking about - this is something traditional all over the Balkans and it's called doner in Bulgaria and several other countries and gyros in Greece Smiley Happy I think it originates somewhere in the Arabic countries but nowadays every country has its own version of it.

P.S. If you come to Sofia - please do let us know Smiley Happy

Nina

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Nina,

We ordered them as Gyros but I knew they had a different name and I was doing my best to pick up some Bulgarian but failing miserably at it!  That and a Kamanitza and I was set.   Smiley Happy

Would love to know everything that is on/in one  Smiley Happy   but since this is a Google forum I'll sign up for your newsletter and maybe you can drop me a line there.

Best,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi again Theo Smiley Happy

Bulgarian is a tough language, so don't regret it. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to speak it if I wasn't born Bulgarian.

So, I followed your advice (this is how the filter looks: )

but there's still nothing in that view...

Do you have any ideas? I know there's no much traffic there as I am just developing it and it's a hot mess right now, but I'd like to have everything set up from the get go and can't find out what's wrong...

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi Nina,

When did you apply the filter?  Was this view created as a User ID view? Try this segment in your view that includes all data

https://analytics.google.com/analytics/web/template?uid=maMcwzUdS325jnFpHXIvDA

or just go to Audience>>Technology>>network and change the primary dimension to hostname to see if you have shop. in the list.

-Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

Hey Nina,

Just checking in to see if you've made any progress.  If the view was created as UserId then data only collects there when the User Id is set and that could explain it.  Did you see shop dot hostname in your unfiltered view (hopefully that is your "overview" view).  It's a holiday here tomorrow so there may be a delay in response.

Best,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo! Tried to get back to you yesterday but the site had crashed (this one). So, I checked in Audience>>Technology>>network and the shop domain is visible there. When I created the view initially, I didn't make it a User ID view - just a regular one... The funny thing is that when I go to Overview, I can see the real time visitors to the shop sub-domain. When I go to shop only - it says 0. Could this be because this subdomain doesn't really have much traffic yet?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author The S
July

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

Hi Nina,

It could be.  That said, since you adjusted the filter, the data should match for the shop dot and from what you see in the view with all traffic (Unless you have IP filters on one).    

I just went there and clicked around, you should see something there.  You may want to try Tag Assistant for Chrome to record a session.  It will show you roughly what data to expect in your view.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tag-assistant-by-google/kejbdjndbnbjgmefkgdddjlbokphdefk?h...

Let me know how you make out or if you see data there now.

Cheers,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Finally made it... Still don't know what was wrong, but I made a copy of my Overview view and applied the filter Smiley Happy It all works correctly now Smiley Happy Thank you sooooo much for your help - it seems my filter wasn't correct the first time. Plus, the Tag Assistant did show that everything was running smoothly.

Please don't hesitate to drop me a line if you're visiting Bulgaria again!