Analytics
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

No data for " Include internal traffic only" report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I'm looking to create two views, one excluding internal traffic and one showing only internal traffic.

We have a bunch of IP addresses and IP ranges, and while building the regex I had to divide it in two because of the 255 character limitation and therefore create two filters for each view.

One of the views is to exclude all internal traffic which is working and another view to include only internal traffic. This one is not working (no data is shown).. I created the same filters but instead of " exclude" I changed it to "include". I used the custom type to create the filters in both views.

Could it be because I'm using two "include" filters in one view? If so what can be a workaround to include only internal traffic in one view?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: No data for " Include internal traffic only" report

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
HI Timo, that's right you only can have one include filter for each dimension, so you will have to optimize the expression to include everything under one filter. If your company uses a range of IPs instead of adding each one, make an expression to include the range, this will save you a lot of characters. You can use this tool
http://www.analyticsmarket.com/freetools/ipregex

Hope it helps
Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the reply! I actually used that tool Smiley Happy The thing is I have 4 different ranges in one country and different static IPs for 6 other countries..
My optimization efforts helped getting the regex down to 276 characters from the initial 330... But still not enough.

Any other tips are more than welcome!

Thanks again.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
One thing you can do is remove the backslashes before each dot. Instead of 100\.123\.456\.1 just enter 100.123.456.1

This will mean that the dot will match any character instead of only dots, but since IPs have a unique format it shouldn't be a problem and will save you some extra characters.

https://regex101.com/r/mA3gG6/1

Do this for the include IP's filter, since you can have multiple exclude ip filters.
Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Great tip, thanks!

I'm also using ^ and $ before / after each each IP and range, can I remove these ones as well or will it break the regex? That would solve my problem..
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Timo S
May 2016

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
That won't be a problem if you were excluding single IPs, but since you are using more complex regex to include a range of IPs it may cause a problem. I would leave at least the $ sign and see how it works.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for all the help Carlos, I'm going to try it!