AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

New Users Too High

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have a locally focused site with a low number of visitors (average of 20-30 users each week). I expect that most of the users should be repeat, but the percentage of new users is consistently very high (about 70-80%). For example, even on weeks where we have zero publicity, most of our users are still new users. Is there any reason why the percentage of new users might be so high?

1 Expert replyverified_user

New Users Too High

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Stoney. The new and returning visitors is based on a cookie. So if someone deletes their cookie after leaving your site and returning they will be defined as a new user. For instance every time I close my browser it automatically deletes everything. So if I visited your site today, closed my browser and came back a few hours later I would be marked as a new visitor both times.

On the other hand the data is meant to show you what is happening, this doesn't always match up with what you would expect.

New Users Too High

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

You can test two different scenarios:

1. Something is wrong with your tracking which is causing users to be incorrectly labelled.

2. Your tracking is correct - your website is encouraging the attraction of new visitors whom are not particularly loyal

To check 1 - You need to see if anything could restart a session. For example, if you have any third party sites (e.g. payment sites) which cause a referral and restart the session. Make sure you are not using campaign tracking on your site which links to your own site. Check to see what the new visitors have for a referral - if it's all one domain, or your own site, then you have cause for concern.

For 2 - what landing pages do these visitors have? What is their source/medium? Do they bounce immediately or show more normal behaviour? Do these users ever come back? - for example, if you use a sufficiently long date range then you will include the return sessions of these users. 

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: New Users Too High

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I wondered about that. I assume someone has to turn on automatically
deleting cookies - its not something that's turned on in most browsers by
default? I suspect some of our visitors come from corporate networks (i.e.
for example they are Ontario Government employees so are logged in from an
Ontario government computer). Is it common for large corporate IT
departments to automatically delete cookies?

Re: New Users Too High

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much, I'll check on those scenarios