Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Network Domain vs. Service Providers

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Which is better to use? What is the difference between the two? Is there a way to set tis as a primary view instead of a secondary deminsion? Which can give you the most information on users looking at your site and their usage?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Network Domain vs. Service Providers

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Network domain is nice because it tells you a corporate identity for corporate domains. Service Provider tends to give you a little more granularity for large internet service providers, like city or zone information, but it can be more confusing when they do things like 'comcast cable communications holdings inc', 'comcast cable communications inc', and 'comcast ip services l.l.c', one of which is comcastbusiness.net (network domain).
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Network Domain vs. Service Providers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Emily,

Adding onto Mike's answer, here's an example of Service Provider and Network Domains together from one of my accounts.  I usually find showing them together to be most useful, and although generally I dont' get much actionable insight out of this information, here's a few things you may find useful.

The network domain as seen in my image shows psu.edu, a university as one of my top domains. If you targeted universities in your business, you could filter on this and see how well your marketing to this university or all universities was doing.

Conversely, if your site works B2B, you may be able to use it for some lead gen by filtering out your service providers of actual internet providers, and check the leftover service providers listed, which should be actual businesses that are checking out your site.

I more often use GA's Audience->Geo->Location visualization report for seeing my customer's locations and create Geo segments for international audiences.

What kind of information or insight are you trying to pair this with? Hope this is helpful.

GA_serviceprovider_and_domain.PNG

Network Domain vs. Service Providers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys, 

do you have an idea where does network Domain come from? Google Analytics regiter our internal sessions with a network domain that has nothing to do with us. We also asked our service provider and they confirmed that our IPs are not linked anyhow to the network domain registered by Google Analytics.

How would you resolve this issue? Any ideas/suggestions?

Thank you in advance.