Analytics
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Need help with advanced filter under new view

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

Currently, I plan on setting up a filter from different type of field under "or" condition

I can't seem to find an option to do so under filter.

We can only include only one type of field

which is really weird since we can do something like this in segment

In segment, I will just add:

Category (custom dimension) > contains > Book

"Or"

Page > contains > /novel

Please let me know if I can use such function in filter please because I wanna have a separate view on this. 

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi @Kunapas T,

Currently, there is no option to use more than on condition in the filter. You can only use multiple conditions using REGEX under the same filter field.

What you can do is create 2 separate filters with those conditions, and it should work just fine.

Just one thing, if you are creating include filters, make sure you just have one of each type field. If you have 2 or more the filters will block everything.

Hope it helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Carlos,

Thank you for your swift reply!

Can you explain some more on creating two separate filters please?

Currently I thought having 2 include filters will be just like "and" condition which

will result in no data like you said.

Thank you!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kunapas T
July

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

That's right the include filters have to meet all conditions.

So for your case to include hits with category "Books" or page /novels.

You could either, create 2 filters, 1 that exclude all other categories and one that excludes all other page categories.

Or if you have too many categories. You could also add on your custom dimension "Category" the path so for example instead of having just Books you could have "Books - /novels"

That way you can create an include filter with a regex like this "books|novels" that include both.

Or if you need to keep the category dimension you could just create a new one "category - path"

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me