Analytics
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Need help for Exclude URL Query Parameters for paging

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to filter out paging parameters. I've created a different view as to not actually affect the code data and entered the below parameters into the "Exclude URL Query Parameters" but now that its collecting data, it doesn't seem to be excluding them. Any suggestions?

Here is the URL with all the parameters:

/Brand-Name?@p2=&by=Brand

/Brand-Name?@p3=&by=Brand

/Brand-Name?@p4=&by=Brand

/JBL-Pro?by=Brand

I am trying to strip out the @p2=& so I can end up just seeing all the versions of the brand without the paging. 

I've added the following to the  "Exclude URL Query Parameters"  field: @p2=&,@p3=&,@p4=&,@p5=&,@p6=&,@p7=&

But I am still seeing the parameter in my reporting.

Thanks,

Dave

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Need help for Exclude URL Query Parameters for paging

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi David :-)
Try instead the following:

@p2,@p3,@p4,@p5,@p6,@p7

Also bare in mind it wont work for data already collected, only going forward

Exclude URL Query Parameters: Any query parameters or unique session IDs (e.g., sessionid or vid) that appear in your URLs that you do not want to see in your reports. Enter as a comma-separated list.
This setting is case sensitive. There is a 2048-character limit.
Additionally, the parameters you identify here are excluded before filters are applied, so be sure you identify them here as they appear in the original, unfiltered URIs. It has become a common mistake to apply filters, and then return to these settings to identify query parameters as they appear in your filtered reports, thus ignoring the case-sensitive requirement of this setting.
For example, if the original URI is /Section1?ParameterA=something and you use a filter to change it to/section1?parametera=something for your reports, then when you identify the query parameter here, you need to identify it as ParameterA

Ref: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1010249?hl=en

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Bronwyn V (Top Contributor)
June 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Instead of using "Exclude URL Query Parameters" I would use Search and Replace filter for the view. Choose Non-standard filter->Search and Replace.

Search field: @p[0-9]*=&
Replace: (leave it empty)

It should remove the query when parameter "p" has zero or more numeric values e.g. p,p1,p2,p3 etc.. You can check this example in action here: http://regexr.com/3dl1n

Just make sure that you do it on test view before you apply it to your main view. Also use option "Verify your filter" when defining this filter (at the bottom of filter setting page). GA will show you what effect that filter would have on your data.

Let me know if it worked for you.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I forgot. to mention, in "Filter Field" choose "URI request" (I guess the name because I don''t have English GA).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, this did the trick.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I actually marked the wrong post as the working answer. I am sorry...

The best solution was
Search field: @p[0-9]*=&
Replace: (leave it empty)

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Thanks for posting back David :-)
I unmarked my post and marked the post you indicated that was intended as the best solution

Thanks
Bronwyn :-)
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here