AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

My Include IP filters aren't working for internal traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've tried the following filters to include traffic from my own computer to my hosted webpage;

- include only -- traffic from the IP addresses -- that contain -- 999.999.999

- include only -- traffic from the IP addresses -- that are equal to -- 999.999.999.0

- include only -- traffic from the IP addresses -- that begin with -- 999.999.999.99

- include only -- traffic from the IP addresses -- that begin with -- 999.999.999.0

where the "9" are replaced by digits. None of which filters my own traffic in.

On the other hand, the converse filter which is supposed to filter my own IP address out always filters it in.

I use http://www.whatsmyip.org/ to find my own IP address.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Bob

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

Couple of things to keep in mind.. changes to filters can sometimes take up to 2hrs to reflect in the real time reporting.

Using more than one include filter for the same filter field on the same reporting View, wont usually work, as filters work in the order they are applied. Therefore.. if a hit does not pass the first filter, it will get discarded and not make it to the 2nd or next filter.

Does your google analytics tracking code have the anonymize IP option set?

This will prevent the ip filters working as expected.. 

in which case maybe try the following

include only -- traffic from the IP addresses -- that begin with -- 999.999.999.

(yes the last octet of the IP has been removed as ip anonymization masks the last

octet)

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Following Bronwyn's suggestion, I replaced the tracking code in both index pages with code from my GA page - no reference to ...anon... in either pages. I am not sure whether the array of filters below will skip any hits - all hits both internal and external (sent via TOR) end up in external traffic, as if the IP address is ignored - I am using the IP address as shown by "http://www.whatsmyip.org/" i.e. "999.999.999.999".

- External Traffic

- Internal traffic

- Unfiltered data

Re: My Include IP filters aren't working for internal traffic

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

You will likely find it is due to how Tor works in relation to protecting your IP address.
It relays you thru a network of IPs, not a single address

The Tor software protects you by bouncing your communications around a distributed network of relays run by volunteers all around the world: it prevents somebody watching your Internet connection from learning what sites you visit, it prevents the sites you visit from learning your physical location, and it lets you access sites which are blocked. 

Not sure if the following info on stack overflow is helpful to you or not
https://webmasters.stackexchange.com/a/49991

eta.. when testing Tor against Chrome, Tor gives a completely different IP via an anonymous proxy
to my usual IP addy via Chrome. 

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here