Analytics
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Multiple Client Websites Under the same account and property

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We have 1 account "VDP" with one property "All e-commerce sites" and would like to create multiple views for us (poperty 1) and all our clients (property 2, 3 & N). 

• Account "VDP"
    • Property "All e-commerce sites"
      • Property 1: data view with all data from all data views within the property
      • Property 2: data view with only data from www.website1.com
      • Property 3: data view with only data from www.website2.com
      • Property N: data view with only data from www.websiteN.com

MY QUESTIONS:

1. Is this the way to set it up so that we have 1 view with all data (and e-commerce information) in a master property (property 1) but also the possibility to give each client it's own view priveleges? Or should this be set up differently?
  2. How do I filter the views for each domain? I read a lot, but everything seems to be about cross tracking "incorporating" from secondary domain to primary domain, for instance when a checkout is on another domain. Or something like this, but not what we want to achieve.

We tried installing it this way, but only property 1 seems to be aquiring data (first one to be set up months ago). Are we doing something wrong here?

Regards, 

Nick

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Multiple Client Websites Under the same account and property

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

Make sure when working with multiple trackers the subsequent trackers must be named trackers:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/creating-trackers#working_w...

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,

In your example you suggest working with multiple properties, that's a different approach then our 1 property with many views.

Are you saying using multiple properties is the best/only way to approach this?

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi,

Are Property 1, Property 2, Property 3 and Property N are separate properties or views under the "All e-commerce sites" property, please clarify.
If you want to track all data under a single property from the different domains, you need to set up cross-domain tracking and a separate view for each domain.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/linker#overview
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033162?hl=en

So you would have a view for all domains with a filter set up to include hostnames in the reports:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1012243?hl=en

And a separate view for each domain using the include traffic to hostname filters.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, this solutions works like a charm. We are using Google Tag Manager, by differentiating the domain's we can insert the correct Property when we need to. However, how do we add multiple trackers to a Google Tag Manager Tag when using the predefined Google Analytics tag option? If we know how to do this I'm pretty confident we can do this.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi,

You can add multiple analytics tags without any issues, GTM names the trackers automatically.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, so you suggest adding 2 entire analytics code scripts with each its own tracking code?

If so, would you also suggest doing this for the Google Analytics E-commerce code? We also set this using the Google Tag MAnager which is fed by the Data Layer of the websites.

Thanks.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
When using GTM you only need to add the GTM container code to your website and you set up the tracking tags in GTM. You also need to add a transaction tracking tag for each property.

Please check the document below about implementing GA through GTM:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6163791?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,

Thanks, that is the part we have working now. What we would like is something like this:

- All websites: use property UA-XXXXX-1

So what follows:

- .Client 1 domain: use property UA-XXXXX-2 AND UA-XXXXX-1
- .Client 2 domain: use property UA-XXXXX-3 AND UA-XXXXX-1
- .Client 3 domain: use property UA-XXXXX-4 AND UA-XXXXX-1
- .Client 4 domain: use property UA-XXXXX-5 AND UA-XXXXX-1
- .Client N domain: use property UA-XXXXX-N AND UA-XXXXX-1

This way we should be able to have insights for each client in it's own property and for all client websites one master property with all data.

So the question using GTM now follows:

- For pageview tracking using the predefined Google Analytics tag: do we use 2 complete different tags with each its own Property code? Or do we use one predefined Google Analytics tag and add with advanced settings master property UA-XXXXX-1 to each specific client tag?
- For e-commerce tracking using the predefined Google Analytics transaction tag: do we use 2 complete different tags with each its own Property code? Or do we use one predefined Google Analytics transaction tag and add with advanced settings master property UA-XXXXX-1 to each specific tag client?

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi,

You can create two Analytics tags.

Set the UA ID for the first one to UA-XXXXX-1 and fire it on all pages

For the second one create a lookup table variable for the UA ID and set it up like this:

lookup.png

Do the same for the transaction tracking tags. So you will have two pageview tracking tags and two transaction tracking tags. Hope this makes sense, let me know if you have questions.