Analytics
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Multinational company, 1 website. Filter by country under <Admin> to <View> w/o ruining overall data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone.

In a nutshell - I need to know if applying a filter on the *View* heading will effect other sales regions (I'm interested only in creating a filter in the Admin section and nowhere else).

I work for a company divided into geographic sales regions (EUAF, AMER, etc.) The english website is controlled by London. 

The settings under <Admin> are as follows:

• The <Account> is the name of my company, the
  • <Property> is my company's URL and the
  • <Views> includes the raw do-not-touch data as well as multiple London views.

Recently London setup a <View> for the AMER region.

Example 1.png

If I do anything to mess up the views, properties, data, etc London has I may not see tomorrow. But I need to create new view filters and that's where you come in!

If I have the AMER view selected in the filter column, can I

1. Change the <Properties> section for AMER needs w/o effecting the main London data properties?

Untitled-3.png

asd.png

The logic here being that the URL cited at the top of the properties screen shows 'AMER Marketing'

If yes, how do I include *only* AMER (NCSA) countries? I have tried using regex designations like UN|VE|ER and enter the in by their 2 character abbreviation, entering full country names, entering regions... and nothing. I get a notice saying this new property will do nothing to effect the data.

So I go to <Add Filter> in the <View> menu and filter by country. That doesn't seem to accomplish what I was and even if it did I would be afraid the changes I make will directly effect all the data.

Does anyone know how to set-up a new View in the Admin section and filter it from there without messing up anyone else's view?

Let me know if this isn't clear - I'll try to explain again. Smiley Happy

_J

I want to change

1 Expert replyverified_user

Multinational company, 1 website. Filter by country under &lt;Admin&gt; to &lt;View&gt; w/o ruining overall data

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

filters will only affect only the new incoming data at the level they are set.

If added at view level it will affect only that particular view.

Multinational company, 1 website. Filter by country under &lt;Admin&gt; to &lt;View&gt; w/o ruining overall data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That is great news, AT.

Now I will add a filter to include only AMER countries. I have had problems adding a custom filter- not understanding how I enter in all of the countries I need excluded. Is there a simple solution instead of entering each country name individually?

And once I add in the countries, can I ignore the warning that the filter won't effect my current data?

Thank you,

J

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

To create a new new view click on admin>view>create new view. If you do not see that final option then you may need to change your admin access.

Just some advice - experiment on test views first. You can create multiple views to test your filters and then delete them if they are no longer required. 

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John.

Thank you for your response as well. I do have Admin access and have been successful in creating test views. The question now is how to enter the information I need to filter (countries) to the filter found under the view column. (First screenshot above).

I want to either *include* only AMER countries or exclude all countries outside of AMER. I have been searching my GA book in vain for the answer. I can't manually enter every single country name (actually tried it), the regex abbreviations for all countries, or designated regions like AMER, etc.)

So how exactly would I enter that information in order to be filtered?

I appreciate you continued help.

J

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is the country list:

COUNTRY GROUP

COUNTRY

ARGNTNA-CHILE-PERU-URGAY- PARGAY-BLVIA

ARGENTINA

BOLIVIA

CHILE

FALKLAND ISLANDS

PARAGUAY

PERU

URUGUAY

BRAZIL

BRAZIL

CANADA

CANADA

CANSAC

ANGUILLA

ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA

ARUBA

BAHAMAS

BARBADOS

BELIZE

BERMUDA

BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS

CAYMAN ISLANDS

COLOMBIA

COSTA RICA

DOMINICA

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

ECUADOR

EL SALVADOR

FRENCH GUIANA

GRENADA

GUADELOUPE

GUATEMALA

GUYANA

HAITI

HONDURAS

JAMAICA

MARTINIQUE

MONTSERRAT

NETHERLANDS ANTILLES

NICARAGUA

PANAMA

PUERTO RICO

SAINT KITTS AND NEVIS

SAINT LUCIA

SAINT VINCENT AND THE GRENADINES

SURINAME

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO

TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS

US VIRGIN ISLANDS

VENEZUELA

MEXICO

MEXICO

USA

GUAM

NORTHERN MARIANA ISLANDS

UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS

USA

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

Hello! First, remember that any advice I give may well be wrong - I don't have anything near a complete understanding of your data needs nor your website/company structure. Test everything until you are sure it's correct - you have plenty of options with creating new views which you can mess around with and delete later.

For your AMER countries include list - can you not do something like this:

1. Create a new view

2. In that view, create a filter which is filter type 'custom' and then select country.

3. In the filter box use a regular expression which includes the countries you wish to exclude or include.

For example: Antigua|Barbuda| Argentina|Aruba|Bahamas|Barbados|Belize|Bermuda|Bolivia|Bonaire etc etc. This would include, or exclude, AMER countries.

For the more obscure countries it's probably worth checking that the names match what is present in GA. As far as I'm aware GA uses ISO names, but there may be exceptions. 

There's also a limit on how long your filter rule can be - if you exceed it, reduce the size of the rule and then create a second filter for that view which includes the other countries you wish to exclude. 

The whole rule for AMER could look like this: 

Antigua|Barbuda| Argentina|Aruba|Bahamas|Barbados|Belize|Bermuda|Bolivia|Bonaire| Sint Eustatius and Saba| Brazil| Canada| Cayman Islands| Chile| Colombia| Costa Rica| Cuba| Curaçao| Dominica| Dominican Republic| Ecuador| El Salvador| French Guiana| Grenada| Guadeloupe| Guatemala| Guyana| Haiti| Honduras| Jamaica| Martinique| Mexico| Montserrat| Nicaragua| Panama| Paraguay| Peru| Puerto Rico| Saint Barthélemy| Saint Kitts And Nevis| Saint Lucia| Saint Martin| Saint Pierre and Miquelon| Saint Vincent and The Grenadines| Sint Maarten| Suriname| Trinidad and Tobago| Turks and Caicos Islands| United States| Uruguay| Venezuela| Virgin Islands| Virgin Islands (U.S.)

Note - some of the country names may not exactly match what is present in GA.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Hi - how are you getting on with this? :-)