Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Multi Domain Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

I have a client with two sites, one is www.example.com and the other www.example.ca. When a user with a Canadian IP address tries to access the .com site they are automatically redirected to the .ca version, and vice-versa. For the moment they do not want to add a pop-up that says 'It looks like you're in Canada. Would you like to visit the Canadian site?" (so I can't track link clicks).

I have the same analytics code on both sites, with one view showing only traffic to the hostname of the .ca site, one view showing only traffic to the hostname of the .com site, and one view with ALL data (both sites in one).

Is there a way I can set up a segment or anything that tracks automatic redirections because at the moment the majority of the traffic to the .ca site is registering as referrals from .com and I want to be able to show PPC clicks from the .com that are redirecting to the .ca etc. I have tried adding a segment where the first step in the sequence is on the hostname of .com and the second action is accessing the hostname on .ca, but that doesn't work out.

Any suggestions of how we could identify those sessions landing on the .com and being automatically redirected to the .ca? If it is at all possible! (or I'll push for the popup!)

Multi Domain Tracking

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

If the real goal is tracking and reporting PPC traffic, then you already have control within the PPC UI's over location targeting and destination URL. Different countries, different audiences, different domains = Different campaigns, different ad copy, different targeting methods, different bids and budgets. There are plenty enough reasons campaigns should be segmented by country, and in this case, it is necessary for your reporting.

Tom