AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Mismatch in session counts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

There is a mismatch in counts when I am filtering using add segment feature of GA for the same date range. For eg.

If I have filtered using "All Users" , the count of sessions for a browser "Internet Explorer" does not match with the count of sessions when I filter by adding my own segment and putting the condition "Browser exactly matches Internet Explorer".

IE.JPG vs All users.JPG

The IE segment was created as mentioned below:

IE S.JPG

Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Indu I
September 2016

Re: Mismatch in session counts

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Do you have a free version of Google Analytics or not?

If you have a free version, you need to pay attention to sampling. Sampling occurs when you attempt to segment or manipulate a particularly huge amount of data from a large number of sessions using a complex set of advanced segments.

If you see this kind of message after applying your advanced segment, you probably know the reason.

sessions.png

There you can read more about sampling and how it works: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1042498?hl=en&ref_topic=2601030

I guess that's the reason why you may see a mismatch.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

Taavi

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Indu I
September 2016

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Do you have a free version of Google Analytics or not?

If you have a free version, you need to pay attention to sampling. Sampling occurs when you attempt to segment or manipulate a particularly huge amount of data from a large number of sessions using a complex set of advanced segments.

If you see this kind of message after applying your advanced segment, you probably know the reason.

sessions.png

There you can read more about sampling and how it works: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1042498?hl=en&ref_topic=2601030

I guess that's the reason why you may see a mismatch.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Taavi,

Thank you so much for replying !!

Yes, You are right as my account is a free GA account I see sampled data when I apply segmentation.

Apart from signing up for GA 360 suite is there any other way to get unsampled report for segmented data?

Thanks again!!

Indu

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Indu,

Lunametrics has written a great article about that: http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2013/06/24/solutions-google-analytics-sampling-problems-8-ways-data/

Hope this helps.

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Taavi,

That's a great article!!

I am reducing my date range to get the accurate data while maintaining the session limit of 500K sessions but GA is giving me less than 100 % sessions even when the number of sessions are at around 100k.

The article mentions the following:

"the default sample is 250,000 visits (not pageviews… visits. It’s session based), but you can normally adjust a slider on the page (located in the top right… it looks like a checkerbox grid) and have the sample be more precise (but take longer to process) and have it cover 500,000 visits."

But I am not able to figure out how to increase the limit to 500k.

I truly appreciate all your help in this issue and look forward to your reply.

Thanks!!

Indu 

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

You can just choose between 2 options: "Faster response" or "Greater precision".

sessions.png

If you change it from "Faster response" to "Greater precision", the results will be more accurate. Higher precision will return a more accurate response using a large sample size, but this may result in the response being slower.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes Indu.

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well, I am still getting less than 100% of sessions at around 100k sessions even after choosing greater precision. I have to pull out 3 years of data. I really wish I could pull out 500k accurate sessions at once. I am not sure what is the limit... 500k or 100k???

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

To avoid sampling, you need to have less than 500k sessions within the associated property. Smiley Happy

If the number of sessions in the property over the given date range exceeds 500k sessions, Google Analytics will employ a sampling algorithm which uses a sample set proportional to the distribution of sessions by day for the selected date range. Thus, the session sampling rate varies for every query depending on the number of sessions included in the selected date range for the given property.

Check this out: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2637192?hl=en

Paul has written a great article about that as well: http://online-metrics.com/eight-smart-ways-to-deal-with-google-analytics-sampling/

Hope this helps.

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to import drilled down data for a particular day. For eg how many chrome sessions per day for a period of 3 years.

So I utilize the data provided by the timeline graph.