AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Lowercase Request URI filter not working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've added a filter to my data for forcing all Request URI's to come back in lowercase so that the same URL will appear on the same line versus multiple lines.

When I first create the filter and verify it, it works and is functioning as desired. However, when I go back into the filter to verify after the initial setup, the verification fails and says there is not enough data. Additionally, the data is still on separate lines in multiple cases.

How can I fix this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Lowercase Request URI filter not working

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
filters are not retroactive, the filter wont correct past data already collected within a View, it will only change the data going forward and changes can sometimes take 24-48hrs to reflect in the reports.

So, if you are viewing a report date range that includes dates prior to the filter being applied, the report will still display that historical data any changes.

Regarding filter verification, it is only an indicator, its not always correct.
If you are applying a filter to
1) a new View or, 

2) a View that does not have much data collected in it in general eg site does not get a lot of traffic, or
3) if you are forcing the Request URIs to lowercase in an existing view, (if the collected data is already lowercase in the View) and you try to verify the lowercase filter, 

The above scenarios will result in the following msg:
This filter would not have changed your data. Either the filter configuration is incorrect, or the set of sampled data is too small.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here