Analytics
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Low Bounce Rate on Google Analytics View with Filter

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I have a website on which I have set-up Google Tag Manager. One of the things that this does is to record page views.

This website had a very low bounce rate and I noticed that, in addition to the Universal Analytics tag (I will call this "Tag One") that registered page views from the main website, there was another tag (I will call this "Tag Two") of type Classic Google Analytics registering page views for another property (different web property ID. I will refer to this as "Property Two") and another tag (I will call this "Tag Three") of type Classic Google Analytics registering page views for a third property (I will refer to this as "Property Three").

I thought that the tags of type Classic Google Analytics would be interfering with the Universal Analytics one so I deleted them and the bounce rate on the main website's Google Analytics view went up to over 30% (it was previously less than 5%). 

However, there is a view within this property ("Property One") that has a filter to ensure that it only display data relating to a sub domain from this website. The filter uses the hostname to filter data from only the sub domain. Since I removed the two Classic Google Analytics tags the bounce rate of this view has changed from around 7% to less than 1%.

If relevant, "Tag Two" was previously sending page views to "Property Two" from pages on the same sub domain as the view mentioned above.

Does anyone know why the low bounce rate on this view may be occurring? Thanks in advance!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Low Bounce Rate on Google Analytics View with Filter

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi James,

Could you please share your website URL so we can take a look at it?

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,

Unfortunately, I'm not able to post the URL. I appreciate that might make it tough to suggest a solution.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi James,
There's really no way to diagnose this without seeing it. It's like saying "I have a bug in my software, can you help me isolate it?" but not being able to share the source code.

All I can recommend is installing a header checker and the Google Tag Assistant chrome extension and recording a session with it to examine it's findings.

To me it sounds like multiple hits are being triggered to the same property caused by a conflict. However, without being able to see it, there's not much more I can add I'm afraid.