Analytics
857 members online now
857 members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Large Number of Fake Direct Traffic Visits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Let me start by saying this is NOT the referral spam that is plaguing all Google Analytics properties. This is also not direct traffic that can be fixed by setting the HOSTNAME in GA to just your website. This thread his designed to find a solution to Large amounts of fake traffic coming into Google Analytics recorded as direct visits. By "Large Amounts" I am meaning 500 or more direct visits per day. 

Essentially starting in January 2015, I noticed on two different websites that there was a huge increase in direct traffic that had a 99% to 100% bounce rate. I created a thread on the old community that now just redirects to the new community so it is no longer accessible, and the issue had not been resolved for many of us who are seeing this issue. In short here is what we know about the issue: 

1. The traffic seems to be being reported in GA as coming from Old versions of Flash. If you filter the traffic by flash you will notice that some versions of flash have a very high bounce rate. Over time as the flash version gets older the bounce rate will reach the 99% to 100%. Once it hits that point you can add a filter to exclude traffic from that flash version however, you will notice that some legitimate traffic that converts does come from those older versions for a decent amount of time so it is only a band aide fix that can be applied as that version becomes so outdated that no legitimate traffics is coming from it any longer. 

2. It also seems to come from Older out dated versions of browsers. Primarily IE and Chrome. However much of the traffic is (not set) so excluding or filtering out just those browsers does not solve the issue. 

I have currently been trying to combat the issue by filtering the outdated versions of Flash traffic once relevant traffic is no longer coming in. However this is not a solid fix and never handles when the traffic migrates to a different old version of Flash. I have had several people suggest filtering out traffic that has less than one second time on site. However if you look at data before this issue and see your bounce rate you will notice that the filter excluding all traffic that visits less than 1 second is also filtering out legitimate bounces and reducing the bounce rate below accurate values. 

I am hoping this thread can help solve this issue for myself and others please let me know if you have any questions or things you have tried to fix this issue. 

Re: Large Number of Fake Direct Traffic Visits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jared. I'm seeing similar issues and we're not the only ones. Another thread here: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Referral-Spam-Traffic/Invalid-Bot-Traffic-from-Chrome-Bros...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Jared,

If you go to Audience->Technology->Network, is there a Service Provider that has 95%+ Bounce Rate? Try to look at this since Jan... If there is a stand out there, click on the provider and screen grab the graph from this...

Personally I am seeing traffic from "amazon.com inc." that fits a similar scenario to what you have described (See Below). The traffic from this source comes sporadically, but is capped at under 5000 page views. The day views on this also show that it emulates real traffic (with constant daytime traffic in business hours).

http://under-dev.com/live/direct-traffic-spam.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Reactive,

Thanks for the suggestion however looking at the service provider I am not seeing a single provider or a group of providers that look abnormal.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yeah Jared, I just wanted to note that the type of spam traffic that some others have been mentioning here is a more typical type of spam - Amazon AWS has stood out in my books before as well - but that is not the type of spam that we're talking about here now. Have you been following the other thread?