AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Issue with Channel Group Settings

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi 

I want to share GA data with a referral partner so have created a view, which filters their traffic using Channel Group Settings. The rules are set up using campaign source and medium set to exact match. 

When reviewing this view via acquisition / all traffic tab, their traffic is segmented out but GA is still showing all other traffic under the header 'Other'. Why is this?

Any help would be appreciated!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Gavin,

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to achieve?

Firstly, the new view you created, it sounds like you should setup a filter for that view which excludes their traffic.

If you have redefined the channel groupings any traffic which is not defined in a grouping will appear under other as Google does not know what to do with it.

If the partner use UTM tagging for links back to your site you should be able to find their traffic under the source/medium reports providing you haven't modified the default channel groupings.

Thanks,

A

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adam - Thanks for your early help!

Basically I want to give a partner who is a source of traffic and sales (lets call them 'partner A') access to full GA sales funnel data (clicks, bounce, funnel stages etc) that came via their site. Whilst UTM tracking supplied by Partner A can measure clicks, it doesn't include other metrics that are useful to them that I would like to share. 

I assumed that I could do this by creating a unique View and changing the channel settings to filter for their UTM source/medium credentials, and then inviting them as users to this view. Is this not the case?

Regards

Gavin

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

In this case I would say your best bet would be to setup a filter to only include traffic from their source/medium that way they could only ever see traffic they generated and metrics around that traffic source.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adam, 

That is what I have done. My question was why after only selecting only Partner A traffic, does 'Other' Traffic appear. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Gavin,

Are those (other) sessions only coming from returning visitors? Then it might be related to your previous setup (before making configuration changes).

Best,

Paul

Re: Issue with Channel Group Settings

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Gav C,

You can use 'view filter' to filter only your partner traffic. 

I guess you are using Channel grouping. Overall data would be still available in the view. It will only allocate the traffic to the new channel according to your given condition & rest of the traffic would be attributed to Others. (if condition not specified)
Apply same conditions there.

Google Doubt 37.png

(Apply 2 consecutive filters for source & medium.)

Thanks,
Ritwik B

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Ritwik 

Your reply makes sense but when I go to add a new filter I don't get the same view/and options to create a filter as you do in your example above. All I see is IP filters to choose from. 

I'm an admin on the account. Is there something I have misunderstood?

Ta

Gavin 

+

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Gav C,

Try selecting Filter Type as 'Custom' > Select Include 'Checkbox' the use campaign source condition.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Thanks,
Ritwik B