Analytics
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Internal IP address filtering does not appear to be working

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

More than a week ago I setup two filters (following the Exclude internal traffic page exactly) to prevent tracking of my IP address and my client's IP address. The site is a new site so there is very little traffic yet. On the Home screen I do see a difference between All Website Data, and my filtered data – 314 sessions vs. 300 sessions respectively. That seems good, but when I drill down based on city I see many many sessions originating from my small town and my client's small town. If I select based on City and add advanced filters to exclude traffic from both of our small towns, the sessions go from 300 down to 176. This seems to indicate that my filtering is not working properly. Please help.

I should also mention that many of the sessions are from very recent dates. Dates well after I setup the filters.

Re: Internal IP address filtering does not appear to be working

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Fred,
Please share the filter setting for excluding IP so I can check if you missed anything.

Thanks

Re: Internal IP address filtering does not appear to be working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Santosh,

I actually have four filters, two for each IP address. In both cases I used the basic settings as outlined in the article I referenced, and a regex version as a backup. Here is what I have:

Basic:
Predefined > Excluded > traffic from the IP addresses > that are equal to > xx.xxx.x.xx

Regex:
Custom > Exclude > IP address > ^xx\.xxx\.x\.xx$

The IP addresses were gotten from whatsmyipaddress (dot) com.

I checked stats today and see that, again, there are multiple sessions from both of our small towns. Due to the extremely specific nature of this website (genetic tests), it is highly unlikely that there would be even one session from either of our towns. That is why I feel confident that the filters are not working correctly.