Analytics
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Internal/External filters page views incorrect??

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

My company has 3 filtered views: 

1. All web site data

2. Internal

3. External

Are the Internal and External page views supposed to add up to All web site data?? Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't, but not sure why it wouldn't add up, if Internal includes only certain IP addresses, and External excludes them??

Thank you! 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Michelle,

First you should consider adding at least one more "Testing" view.

If, in fact there are no other filters and they have the same view settings (specifically the tick box for exclude known bots and spiders) and one view includes and one excludes the same ip's; then yes, I would expect them to add up.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the insight. I checked the filter IP addresses and the view settings (which I didn't previously know how - so thanks) and it's all the same! Sigh. I will keep investigating. 

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Michelle,

One last thing to check for -- and this is more for anyone else that finds this down the road -- is to check to see if one of the views is set as user id.  If that was the case and your site required a login for most pages it might explain a difference; for most sites there would be a Yuge, Bigly difference.   Smiley Happy

User Id views are set up when User Id is configured on the property level and cannot be changed from User Id -- but you can see if the indication in the View settings.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn