Analytics
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

IP filters do not seem to be working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all!

I hope you can help.

I have three views set up for an account/property. A main view, a test view, and an unfiltered view. The main and test views both have filters that are set to exclude traffic from the IP addresses that are equal to... (IP addresses). I have also tried custom filters with the IP addresses, and I have even tried them as regular expressions.

It has been two weeks, and the unfiltered view and main & test views are reporting the exact same data.

What is going wrong?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: IP filters do not seem to be working

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Dean B,

Can you please post a screenshot of how you have configured your IPs. Please obfuscate the IPs or change them to something super fake.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks! This is how it is now - I have 7 filters, ranked 1-7 all with different filter names, excluding the IPs.

I can't import a picture it seems.... the Photos part seems broken Smiley Frustrated

On each individual filter it simply has:

Name

Predefined

Exclude

traffic from the IP addresses

that are equal to

(IP address) eg 123.112.211.122 - made up number!

As mentioned, I also tried

Custom

Exclude

Filter field - IP address

Filter pattern (eg 123.112.211.122)

Finally, I also tried the reg ex equivalent

^123\.112\.211\.122$

Still no luck. Any ideas? Thanks again!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have currently the same problem, my realtime view and stored data show my own visits to my site.

Funny detail is that I own 2 sites and on one it's working and on the other it does not, same config and exclude ip

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I've got excatly the same problem - keep waiting 24 hours - still no result

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I changed the 3 last digits in ip-adress with a "0" - that helped right away?? - hope it'l work also in the future?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How do you know that worked? I've just tried it, checked real time view and exactly the same....

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi all, can you please check that you are filtering against the correct public IP?

You can simply google "What is my IP" and it will return your public facing IP for you. This is the address that you need to exclude.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Nicky. I can confirm that it is the public IP that I am blocking. I blocked the office IP, which I got this way, my home IP, and asked colleagues who work remote to get the IP using the same method.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yep - copy/paste - earlier solution "0" do not function anymore - it seems to be a periodical error - right now it works with the correct full ip-address. and after 2 days it is still ok - so everything is fine