Analytics
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

IP address filter for internal traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I tried to filter all internal traffic(my company has more than one subnets) from my GA data. When I saw no difference after applying the filter, I tried to check with my (public) IP address and created a separate filter only with my IP address and selected relevant views. When I checked in Google tag assistant after filtering in "Change my Location" option the number of views/ total page loads in the "Recording Summary" stay the same as before applying the filter. 

Please help.

(followed all steps from here https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034840?hl=en)

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: IP address filter for internal traffic

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Filters are not retroactive. You will see differences only going forward.

Re: IP address filter for internal traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your reply. I understand filters aren't retroactive but should I not see the changes in Google tag assistant?
Is there another way to see if the filter is working?

nt iRe: IP address filter for internal traffic

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Google Tag Assistant does not know how your GA account is configured.  You should have both a raw, unfiltered View and a filtered View.  Checking your Real Time fisit your site.  You should see your hits in the unfiltered view but not the properly filtered view.

Remember, filter mods may take awhile to be reflected in Real Time, so don't make a tweak and then expect to see it in Real Time immediately.