AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

IP Filter excluding almost all of my traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have three different filters.

1 - unfiltered

2 - Two IP addresses excluded  IP addresses excluded. 

3 - Four IP addresses excluded

The first (unfiltered) and second (two IP addresses filtered out) each have less traffic than the third filter, despite the fact that logically the 3rd view should have the least traffic because it excludes the same IP addresses as #2, plus two more.

Furthermore, the discrepancy is quite big between two and three (15 sessions in the past week vs 1,700 in the past week).

When I use Real-Time to test if I'm properly excluding my own internal traffic, in one view I can see myself on the site (despite excluding my IP address), but I can't see myself in the other view even though I've used the exact same filter to exclude my own internal IP address.

Has anyone else ever come across this kind of discrepancy?

1 Expert replyverified_user

IP Filter excluding almost all of my traffic

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
Are you able to please share a screen shot of, or type out the filter configurations

(also bare in mind filters do not filter historical data already collected within Views, they only work going forward from the time they are applied and can take up to 48hrs to start showing a difference in the View report)

Also..is the analytics tracking code configured for IP Anonymization?
If so..the tracking code snippet will include the following line of code 

ga('set', 'anonymizeIp', true);

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here