Analytics
6.4K members online now
6.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

IP Address Filter Doesn't Work For Chrome But Does For Other Browsers...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have a filter set up to block my IP address' traffic from google analytics.

My primary browser is Safari and I never see my traffic.  Yesterday I was using Chrome so I could use Tag Assistant.  I received an error from Tag Assistant because I had the Google Analytics Opt-Out add on enabled, so i disabled it.

But while that was disabled, I started seeing my Chrome traffic show up in analytics.

My question is, why would my Analytics filter not work with Chrome traffic from my IP address unless the "Opt-Out add on” was enabled?  If my IP address is blocked (which it is, I double checked) and I don’t see my Safari traffic, I shouldn’t see my Chrome traffic even if the "Opt-Out add on” wasn’t enabled.

Thanks!
1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

IP addresses can change over time unless you have a fixed IP address issued to your location.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I know this... That is not what is happening.  My IP address is the same.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

An IP address filter should override anything the browser could send or modify about the page hit. However, I have seen traffic appear in the Real Time reports that should be/eventually are filtered out before it shows up in the other reports. This is especially true if you have recently changed the filter.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Traffic is coming from my ip address in what should be filtered reports... not real-time.  I've tested multiple ways over multiple days.  Chrome traffic is showing up while Safari traffic is not.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Are you excluding BOTH IPv4 and IPv6 numbers? Although a little odd, it is possible that one browser is using IPv4 numbers and the other IPv6... I grasping at an explanation here...