Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

How to segment users that triggered or Not a particular event in the date of their First Session

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to measure the impact in loyalty/retention of the use of certain features in one of our apps, the date the user was acquired. ie: I want to create a segment of users that triggered and event called "OpenBook" the date of their first session and then compare their session number with the rest of the population

I've managed to do this manually, restrict the period to one day, create a segment with "date of first session" to that date AND add a condition that the even action "OpenBook" is triggered, then I create a report with the users User ID(custom dimension/internal numeric code, ie: 1, 3, 7, 9,...), So I can then create another segment with UserID matches regex 1|3|7|9.

As you can see, this method is quite convoluted so I'd appreciate any help

Thanks!.

1 Expert replyverified_user

How to segment users that triggered or Not a particular event in the date of their First Session

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Lucas, 

It looks like you're doing pretty text book work here. A few questions: 

1) Are you taking full advantage of the User ID feature? Are you tying in emails (from internal server) with User ID identifier? 

2) If you haven't already i suggest you consider creating a new property because please keep in mind that when you change your segment duration you're also effecting the stats on non-converted users and this will also mess with your previous data when the segment was longer/shorter. 

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Joshua,

thanks for replying, to answer your questions:

1. I'm not sure we are taking full advantage of the User ID feature; what we are doing now manually is we generate reports with, for example, users with less than N sessions, the report is a table with user id and session number, then outside analytics we match UserIDs with emails and send email campaigns.

2. With regards to this one you lost me a little bit there.

in any case, I'm guessing there is not a way to do this in a less convoluted way?

thanks a bunch!