AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

How to filter out microsoft crawl?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am having a problem filtering out Microsoft's crawls. Up until yesterday if I filtered out msn.com and there were no problems. Yesterday it started showing up from microsoft corporation service provider, and hostname unknown.unknown. When I try to filter out unknown.unknown it says invalid domain. How can I filter it out?

Re: How to filter out microsoft crawl?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Use filter that includes only your hostname. This is more flexible solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Could you elaborate a little more? I am unsure what you mean.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

If you create a filter that only includes traffic with hostname set to your hostname it will filter out all traffic when hostname is set improperly.

filter.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I made a mistake. The hostname comes up properly, it is the service provider that comes up unknown.unknown

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Have you got field "Exclude all hits from known bots and spiders" checked in your view settings?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I did not have that checked. I duplicated my previous view then added that in. I will check back and let you know.