AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

How to filter my own cell phone from the reports?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

I have a Blog and have managed to filter my own IP. But how to do the same thing with cell phone?

Sami L

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sami L
November 2015

Re: How to filter my own cell phone from the reports?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi, Sami L,

GA does not have the capability to track origin of hits via cell phone as hits don't come in through that medium. Are you thinking of tracking hrefs that are prefixed with "tel"? For example when someone clicks on a link that leads to a call? Those can be filtered using custom filters, but not in the sense of blocking them, as you would an IP.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sami L
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi, Sami L,

GA does not have the capability to track origin of hits via cell phone as hits don't come in through that medium. Are you thinking of tracking hrefs that are prefixed with "tel"? For example when someone clicks on a link that leads to a call? Those can be filtered using custom filters, but not in the sense of blocking them, as you would an IP.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
This is actually quite a common issue and because IPs vary on phones, it's not as simple as just adding an exclusion filter.

I am thinking out loud here and have never tested this, but in theory if this is a big problem for you here's what you could try:

1. Go to Google Campaign URL builder
2. Add your homepage URL
3. Give your campaign source of "mycellphone" and a medium of "test" or something similar.
4. Bookmark this URL on your cell browser and ensure that you only ever go through this URL to get to your site.
5. Add an Exclusion Filter to your Google Analytics View for the source of "mycellphone".

I'd advise testing this out on a test view before applying it to a main reporting view. Like I said, I've never actually tried this. Let me know if it works! (I am going to have to try this myself now...).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, Scott C!

Thank you for your answer! Unfortunately I'm not so professional with IT, so this seems a little bit too diffucult to do for me Smiley Happy But the more I have hits in my blog, the less this is a problem.

But did I understand correct from the answer of Nicky Y, that GA does not register hits from cell phones?? Especially young people use cells very much (mostly?). So there sure is more "followers" in every web-page/blog than can be seen from GA report?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi!

Thanks for your answer. My english and IT skills are not so good... What did you mean by tracking hrefs that are prefixed with "tel"? I'm only thinking of how to avoid my own clicks ending to GA-report. But as you said they don't appear in reports anyhow. So I can look my own blogger-page as many times a day and it doesn't add hits in GA-report?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Sami L,

I'm sorry, I may have misunderstood you. GA DOES register hits from mobile devices and you can create advanced segment to segment out the data by mobile and tablet users. It does NOT track mobile devices by their phone numbers though (which is what I thought you meant). Also, you can't (and probably shouldn't) filter either by ISP or IP address as if you filter by ISP, you potentially block out more than your intended traffic, and filtering by IP is difficult as IPs can change (for example if someone is on the road).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Nicky Y!

Thanks for this. I think I can now go on...

Sami

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

maybe one day GA will have location-based filter such as within 10 m of Smiley Happy company office or something like that...  

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Scott!

Just reading through this. Did this actually work?

Thanks!

Georgie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This can be done with tag manager. I got it working. However if you clear cookies which I do it breaks obviously. A fixed ip network is the best answer. It doesn't solve mobile devices.

eg. http://www.joshuamorse.com/2015/06/14/filtering-internal-employees-in-google-analytics-using-google-...