Analytics
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

How to filter measurement protocol traffic

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have a custom server side script that sends event data to our Google Analytics account via the Measurement Protocol, this information is based on website activity. The event data is properly showing up in our analytics account, however, there appears to be no way to filter the traffic via IP address.  I was under the impression the "uip" field would solve the issue, however it looks like that field is anonymized and not used for filtering traffic in the reports.

Does anyone have an idea for allowing these exclusion / inclusion filters to work with the measurement protocol?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am considering including the user's ip address in the payload via a custom dimension and filtering on that, however I am not 100% sure whether or not Google considers a user's IP address as PII (Personally Identifiable Information)?

Does Google consider an IP address PII?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi,

You could send a flag via a custom dimension and filter based on that, something like cd1=mphit. No need to send the IP as it counts as PII. Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello and thank you for your response,

I understand what your saying and I apologize for the confusion as it sounded like I wanted to determine in Google Analytics whether or not the traffic was from the measurement protocol, sending a flag in the payload would most definitely solve that however, all of my traffic is going through the measurement protocol and what I need is a way to filter that data by IP addresses? 

Does that make sense?

So yes - I do need IP addresses to be filtered - so that my unfiltered view will have ALL the data, and our filtered view will only have non internal data.

It would need to be the IP address since this is how we are excluding our internal traffic from our 5 different locations. 

By the way - I cannot find any article that lists that the IP address is in fact PII, even the "Best Practices to avoid sending PII" (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6366371) only mentions how to mask or anonymize IP addresses. 

Let me know if you know a solution.

Thank You.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jon F
October 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So I've finally decided on sending the IP address sha256 hashed with salt in a custom dimension and filtering the traffic in Analytics based on that value. This should prevent potential PII in the account.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6366371?hl=en#hashed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I found this thread via google search.

I have the exact same problem: filters does not support "uip" parameter which causes transactions to appear as session entrances including "(not set)" value for landing page dimension.

I'm calling Google Analytics team to fix this issue. we should avoid handling 2 different instances of IP address for filtering purposes.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies since it is from 2016.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.